North Central Region SARE Grant now accepting proposals for farmers and ranchers

Are you a farmer or rancher interesting in enhancing the sustainability of your agricultural operation?

North Central SARE Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education
North Central SARE Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education

The North Central Region Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE) Farmer and Rancher Grant Program is now accepting applications from qualified farmers and ranchers. The program, which began in 1992, is designed for conducting on-farm research, demonstration and/or education. Successful proposals in the past have focused on the “triple bottom line”. In other words, they usually include attempts to improve profitability and environmental stewardship and enhance rural communities.

Proposals can be multi-year endeavors, which is useful since one year may not be long enough to effectively document outcomes. The NCR SARE Farmer and Rancher Grant can be up to two years in length. Multiple farmers can also apply together. Individual farmers can apply for up to $7,500, two farmers can apply for up to $15,000 and a group of three or more can apply for up to $22,500. Matching funds are not required for this grant. NCR SARE maintains a database of previously funded proposals that offer a wealth of information for farmers seeking to apply.

Many Michigan proposals have been funded over the last few years. Successful applicants generally are clearly written, attempt to address a specific issue, have a well justified and detailed budget, have an effective and well-conceived dissemination plan, pay farmers for their time and effort, and have solicited the assistance of Michigan State University Extension, the USDA NRCS, and/or a local Conservation District. Developing a relationship with one of these entities can also result in a letter of support, which is needed as well.

The NCR SARE Farmer Rancher Grants are due by 4 p.m. on December 8, 2016. Do not wait until the last minute! If you have questions, please visit the NCR SARE website or contact your local MSU Extension educator.

Did you find this article useful?