Register for the 2020 Grape Prebloom Webinar on June 4
Get ready for grape bloom with information on grape canopy, pest and disease management.
Grape bloom is a critical time for pest and vine management. Join us for an afternoon online with Michigan State University experts covering topics related to prebloom and bloom in the vineyard. The Grape Prebloom Webinar will be held via Zoom Thursday, June 4, 2020, from 1-4 p.m. Growers must register ahead of time for this webinar. Registration closes at midnight the day before the webinar is held (June 3) so don’t miss out! Participants will receive a Zoom link the morning of the webinar and will need to download Zoom to their computer or smartphone to access the webinar. The online format allows grape growers from all over Michigan and the Midwest to attend the meeting without leaving their homes.
- 1:00 – 1:05 p.m. – Introduction, Katherine East, MSU Extension
- 1:05 – 1:35 p.m. – Insects to Watch For Around Bloom, Rufus Isaacs, MSU Department of Entomology
- 1:35 – 2:05 p.m. – Disease Management around Bloom in Michigan Vineyards, Tim Miles, MSU Department of Plant, Soil, and Microbial Sciences
- 2:05 – 2:10 p.m. – Break
- 2:10 – 2:30 p.m. – Getting the Most out of Your Sprayer, Mike Reinke, MSU Extension
- 2:30 – 3:00 p.m. – Canopy Management Approaches between Bloom and Fruit Set, Paolo Sabbatini, MSU Department of Horticulture
- 3:00 – 3:05 p.m. – Break
- 3:05 – 3:25 p.m. – Weather Outlook, Jeff Andresen, MSU Department of Geography, Environment, and Spatial Sciences
- 3:25 – 3:50 p.m. – Enviroweather Update, Keith Mason, MSU Department of Geography, Environment, and Spatial Sciences
- 3:50 – 4:00 p.m. – Wrap-Up, RUP credits
Three Michigan Restricted Use Pesticide (RUP) applicator recertification credits for private and commercial fruit (1C) will be available for this meeting. Webinar participants will receive a post-webinar survey to complete, which captures their RUP credentials and confirms their attendance.
If Zoom is new to you, the MSU Extension fruit team has put together a series of articles on downloading Zoom and participating in Zoom webinars for the spring fruit webinar series. These can help you navigate through the ins and outs of Zoom, even though some specifics may be different for the Grape Prebloom Webinar.
Due to current travel restrictions and safety guidelines, MSU Extension has modified how we work with our clientele. We are still here to provide the information and resources you need, just in different ways than we have in the past.
Per the governor’s “Safer at Home” executive order and MSU guidelines, MSU Extension is only allowing essential travel, which is being granted on a limited basis to scout for pests and deal with time-sensitive issues. Reach out to your local MSU Extension educator if you have questions and they will work with you to address your questions. Initial farm visits will be virtual, either via phone, email or video chat.