MSU Community ID Instructions
Creating Your Michigan State University Account
MSU Guest Account (formerly Community ID) grants limited access to web-based MSU services for users are who not affiliated with MSU directly. Users typically include members of the general public who sign up for non-credit courses, distance learners, and parents, guardians, and others invited by a student to access their information (such as MSU financial systems).
If you have any difficulty creating your account please contact the MSU Discovery Services Help Desk at 517-353-8700 and tell them you are registering for an MSU Extension online course. They are available Monday through Friday from 7am to midnight and on the weekends from 10am to midnight. If you need to reset your password at any time go to https://auth.msu.edu/ and select the option for "Need help Signing in."
Please follow the steps below to register for a Guest Account. All users must complete parts one and two below.
- Part 1: Initial registration
- Part 2: Complete registration
Part 1: Initial Registration
Go to the following page: Step 1 Initial Registration to begin the Guest Account registration process. IMPORTANT: If you have registered for a Community ID in the past, you must register your Community ID email address with your new Guest Account to transfer any saved information (courses, grades, certificates, etc.). Refer to the instructions below for assistance.
- Click on the following link Step 1 Initial Registration and complete the Guest Account request form. Once the form is complete click the Register button.
- If you need to modify any information select the Back button. In your email you will receive a message with the subject "Michigan State University - Guest Registration Verification." This is the first of two registration emails you will receive during this process. Copy the verification code and and enter in the required field shown below and select the Confirm button. If you don't see this email check your junk folder.
Part 2: Complete Registration
You will need to complete this step in order to sign-in and register for your online course. In your email you should receive a second email verifying that your account has been initialized.
- Go to https://auth.msu.edu and enter your email address and password.
- Enter your registration email, secondary email, or phone number to verify a method to reset your password. Select the Create My Account button. You are now able to register for your online course.
If you have any difficulty creating your account please contact the MSU Discovery Services Help Desk at 517-353-8700. They are available Monday through Friday from 7am to midnight and on the weekends from 10am to midnight.
*Please note: If you need to reset your password at any time go to https://auth.msu.edu/ and select the option for "Need help Signing in" and follow the prompts.