Policies for Limited Submission Proposals
A limited submission program is defined as an opportunity in which the sponsor restricts the number of applications that can be submitted on behalf of a given organization or institution. These types of programs place the responsibility of selection on the organization or institution that is applying. To ensure that the sponsor requirements are followed, there are policies and procedures that must be adhered to.
Institutionally limited: When a program is limited to a specific number of applications per institution (i.e. limited to MSU as a whole), the Office of Research and Innovation (ORI) will determine and monitor the proposals that are approved to move forward for submission to the sponsor. The ORI policies and procedures can be found at the below link:
*If you have been approved by ORI to submit an institutionally limited application, please notify the Office of Research Support at ABR.ORS@msu.edu for our records.
Unit or Divisionally limited: Similar to the ORI policies and procedures, Office of Research Support (ORS) will hold an internal pre-application process when a program is limited to a specific number of applications per major division or unit within an organization or institution (i.e. limited to CANR within MSU). ORS will notify CANR Chairs, Directors, and Deans for distribution to faculty should an internal competition be held. ORS will select which proposal(s) is approved for submission to sponsor.
Based on when we are notified of a limited proposal submission, we will utilize the same timeframe guidelines as ORI in relation to when we will hold internal competitions. This structure is outlined below:
- If a faculty member brings a unit or divisionally limited submission opportunity to the attention of ORS with more than eight weeks to the sponsor deadline, a CANR internal competition will be held.
- If a faculty member brings a unit or divisionally limited submission opportunity to the attention of ORS with less than eight weeks to the sponsor deadline, approval for submission will be granted on a first come, first serve basis.
Standard Content Requirements of Internal CANR Pre-Applications:
1-2 page document that contains the following:
- Faculty member name
- Department within CANR
- Verification that all sponsor and MSU eligibility requirements are met
- Confirmation if this is a resubmission. If so, please include reviewer comments
- 1 page summary of the proposed work
Additional information may be required depending upon funding opportunity requirements. This will be indicated in the e-mail notification to CANR Chairs, Directors, and Deans.
*Note that ORI will be notified of selected proposals to move forward for unit or divisionally limited submissions.