C. Andrew Northrop, M.A.
St. Clair County Extension Office
Statewide Government and Community Vitality, Sustainable Tourism Educator
Masters of Arts, Sustainable Development
Bachelor of Science, Psychology
Andy holds a statewide appointment with Michigan State University Extension's Community, Food, and Environment Institute, which focuses on developing strong sustainable community blueprints that strengthen relationships and social capital, foster innovative economic growth, and leverage and sustain our natural resources.
Andy brings more than ten years of international sustainable development experience to his role with Michigan State University Extension. Prior to his current role, Andy co-created sustainable financing and policy to support conservation for the St. Eustatius National Park in the Netherlands Antilles, launched and directed a social enterprise to strengthen sustainable development projects in Thailand, and later managed multi-agency partnerships and operations across southern Florida for the largest coastal restoration initiative in U.S. history. Most recently, while holding a faculty position at South Korea's Woosong University/Solbridge International Business School, Andy served as an advisor to the Ministry of Knowledge Economy for green technology transfers to developing countries while launching campus sustainability and educational programs.
Originally a Michigander, Andy's previous experiences and current efforts support the community transformations necessary to retain and attract visitors, residents, investors, and resources. His programmatic area for MSU Extension helps communities uncover their social and ecological capital via capacity building and collaborative process. By doing so, communities are able and willing to leverage their true potential to become places where people want to live, work, play, learn and return.
Program areas include:
- Connecting Entrepreneurial Communities
- Leadership and Civic Engagement
- Facilitation Leadership
- Sustainability Leadership
- Community-driven Sustainable Tourism:
- First Impressions Tourism (FIT) Assessments
- Destination Life Cycle Planning
- Asset-based Economic Development
- Small Town and Regional Tourism Development
- Creating Welcoming Communities
- MA, Sustainable Development - SIT Graduate Institute (2007)
- BS, Psychology - Michigan State University (2001)
- Sustainable Tourism – Global Sustainable Tourism Council (2018)
- Systems Training - National Charrette Institute, Michigan State University (2017)
- Sustainability Leadership – University of Oregon (2015)
- Fundamentals of Planning & Zoning - Michigan State University Extension (2015)
- Facilitation Leadership – Michigan State University Extension (2013)
- Foundations and Applications of Theory in the First Impressions Program (2018)
- First Impressions Tourism (FIT) Assessment - Community Reports (2017-Current)
- Master Planning for Tourism in Michigan - Chapter 6 (2020)
Memberships: National Extension Tourism (Vice-Chair), Society of Outdoor Recreation Professionals, Global Sustainable Tourism Council, National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals, and Community and Natural Resource Development Association
Connect with Andy via LinkedIn