Christy Sprague, Ph.D.
Dr. Sprague's research and extension program focuses on integrated weed management, biology, ecology, and management of emerging problematic weeds, and understanding the interactions with weeds and other pests and pest/crop management practices. Her program emphasizes weed management in soybeans, sugar beets, dry beans, and potatoes.
- Taylor, E. C., K. A. Renner, and C. L. Sprague. 2012. Organic Weed Management in Field Crops with a Propane Flamer and Rotary Hoe. Weed Technol. 26:793-799.
- Everman, W. J., C. L. Sprague, S. A. Gower, and R. J. Richardson. 2009. An IPM Pocket Guide for Weed Identification in Field Crops. Michigan State University. Ext. Bulletin E-3081. Pp. 173.
- Jordan, T., G. Nice, R. Smeda, C. Sprague, M. Loux, and B. Johnson. 2009. Biology and management of common ragweed. Purdue University. Extension Publication GCW-14.
- Taylor, E., K. Renner, and C. Sprague. 2008. Integrated Weed Management: Fine Tuning the System. Michigan State University Extension bulletin E-3065, 132pp.
- Bollman, S. L., C. L. Sprague, and D. Penner. 2008. Physiological basis for tolerance of sugar beet varieties to s-metolachlor and dimethenamid-p. Weed Sci. 56:18-25.
- Bollman, S. L. and C. L. Sprague. 2007. Optimizing s-metolachlor dimethenamid-p in sugar beet micro-rate treatments. Weed Technol. 21:1054-1063.
- Harder, D. B., C. L. Sprague, and K. A. Renner. 2007. Effect of soybean row width and population on weeds, crop yield, and economic return. Weed Technol. 21:744-752.
- Ott, E. J., C. K. Gerber, D. B. Harder, C. L. Sprague, and W. G. Johnson. 2007. Prevalence and influence of stalk-boring insectson glyphosate activity on Indiana and Michigan giant ragweed (Ambrosia trifida). Weed Technol. 21:526-531.
- Harder, D. B., C. L. Sprague, C. D. DiFonzo, K. A. Renner, E. J. Ott, and W. G. Johnson. 2007. Influence of stem boring insects on common lambsquarters (Chenopodium album) control in soybean with glyphosate. Weed Technol. 21:241-248.
- Steckle, L. E., C. S. Sprague, E. W. Stoller, L. M. Wax, F. W. Simmons. 2007. Tillage, cropping systems, and soil depth effects on common waterhemp (Amaranthus rudis) seed-bank persistence. Weed Sci. 55:235-239.
- Hock, S. M., S. Z. Knezevic, W. G. Johnson. C. Sprague, and A. R. Martin. 2007. Weedsoft: Effects of corn-row spacing for predicting herbicide efficacy on selected weed species. Weed Technol. 21:219-224.
- Zuver, K. A., M. L. Bernards, J. J. Kells, C. L. Sprague, C. R. Medlin, and M. M. Loux. 2006. Evaluation of postemergence weed control strategies in herbicide strategies in herbicide-resistant isolines of corn (Zea mays). Weed Technol. 20:172-178.
- Bierman, R. E., D. E. Riechers, C. L. Sprague, G. Bollero, and W. L. Pedersen. 2005. Fungicide-herbicide interaction in soybean (Glycine max). Crop Protect. 25:134-139.
- Bunting, J. A., C. L. Sprague, and D. E. Riechers. 2005. Incorporating foramsulfuron into annual weed control systems for corn. Weed Technol. 19:160-167.
- Davis, A. S., J. Cardina, F. Forcella, G. A. Johnson, G. Kegode, J. L. Lindquist, E. C. Luschei, K. A. Renner, C. L. Sprague, and M. M. Williams II. 2005. Environmental factors affecting seed persistence of annual weeds across the U.S. corn belt. Weed Sci. 53:860-868.
- Schmidt, A. A., W. G. Johnson, D. A. Mortensen, A. R. Martin, J. A. Dille, D. E. Peterson, C. Guza, J. J. Kells, R. D. Lins, C. M. Boerboom, C. L. Sprague, S. Z. Knezevic, F. W. Roeth, C. R. Medlin, and T. T. Bauman. 2005. Evaluation of corn (Zea mays L.) yield loss estimations by WeedSOFTÆ in the North Central Region. Weed Technol. 19:1056-1064.
- Williams II, M. M., J. K. Pataky, J. N. Nordby, D. E. Riechers, C. L. Sprague, and J. B. Masiunas. 2005. Cross-sensitivity in sweet corn to nicosulfuron and mesotrione applied postemergence. HortSci. 40(6):1801-1805.
- Bunting, J. A., C. L. Sprague, and D. E. Riechers. 2004. Corn tolerance as affected by the timing of foramsulfuron applications. Weed Technol. 18:757-762.
- Bunting, J. A., C. L. Sprague, and D. E. Riechers. 2004. Physiological basis for tolerance of corn hybrids to foramsulfuron. Weed Sci. 52:711-717.
- Bunting, J. A., C. L. Sprague, and D. E. Riechers. 2004. Proper adjuvant selection for foramsulfuron activity. Crop Protect. 23:361-366.
- Bunting, J. A., C. L. Sprague, and D. E. Riechers. 2004. Absorption and activity of foramsulfuron in giant foxtail (Setaria faberi) and woolly cupgrass (Eriochloa villosa) with various adjuvants. Weed Sci. 52:513-517.
- Hasty, R. F., C. L. Sprague, and A. G. Hager. 2004. Weed control with fall and early preplant herbicide applications in no-till soybean (Glycine max). Weed Technol. 18:887-892.
- Maertens, K. D., C. L. Sprague, P. J. Tranel, and R. A. Hines. 2004. Amaranthus hybridus populations resistant to ALS-inhibiting and triazine herbicides. Weed Res. 44:21-26.
- Steckel, L. E., C. L. Sprague, E. W. Stoller, and L. M. Wax. 2004. Temperature effects on germination of nine Amaranthus species. Weed Sci. 52:217-221.
- Steckel L. E. and C. L. Sprague. 2004. Common waterhemp interference in corn. Weed Sci. 52:359-364.
- Steckel, L. E., and C. L. Sprague. 2004. Late-season common waterhemp interference in wide- and narrow-row soybean. Weed Technol. 18:947-952.
- Gower, S. A., M. M. Loux, J. Cardina, S. K. Harrison, P. L. Sprankle, N. J. Probst, T. T. Bauman, W. Bugg, W. S. Curran, R. S. Currie, R. G. Harvey, W. G. Johnson, J. J. Kells, M. D. K. Owen, D. L. Regehr, C. H. Slack, M. Spaur, C. L. Sprague, M. VanGessel, and B. G. Young. 2003. Effect of postemergence glyphosate application timing on weed control and grain yield in glyphosate-resistant corn: Results of a two-year multi-state study. Weed Technol. 17:821-828.
- Steckel, L. E., C. L. Sprague, A. G. Hager, F. W. Simmons, and G. Bollero. 2003. Effects of shading on common waterhemp growth and development. Weed Sci. 51:898-903.
- Steckel, L. E., F. W. Simmons, and C. L. Sprague. 2003. Soil factor effects on the tolerance of two corn hybrids to isoxaflutole plus flufenacet. Weed Technol. 17:599-604.
- Hager, A. G. and C. L. Sprague. 2002. A contemporary, color-enhanced herbicide site of action bulletin. Journal of Extension 40:2. The Journal of Extension is the official refereed journal of the United States Cooperative Extension System. Available at: http://www.joe.org/joe/2002april/tt4.html.
- Steckel, L. E., C. L. Sprague, and A. G. Hager. 2002. Common waterhemp (Amaranthus rudis) control in Corn (Zea mays) with single preemergence and sequential applications of residual herbicides. Weed Technol. 16:755-761.
100 years of MSU-USDA sugar beet research celebrated
Published on September 18, 2023
Weeds Have a Field Day
Published on July 18, 2023
MSU Wheat Field Day 2023
Published on June 27, 2023
Dry forecast: How will that impact weed control?
Published on June 1, 2023
Michigan Wheat Program Field Day set for June 14 in Lansing
Published on May 26, 2023
PSM Celebrates student and faculty achievement
Published on April 4, 2023
Cover Crop Termination
Published on March 31, 2023
Field Crops Virtual Breakfast series kicks off with early season weed control on March 30
Published on March 23, 2023
Reducing spread of herbicide-resistant weed seed during harvest and tillage operations
Published on September 22, 2022