Erin Burns, PhD
Montcalm Research Center
Assistant Professor - Integrated weed management with emphasis on practices to mitigate the development and spread of herbicide-resistant weeds.
1066 Bogue Street, Room A464
East Lansing, MI 48824
B.S., Biology – College of Saint Benedict
M.S., Plant Sciences – North Dakota State University
Ph.D., Plant Sciences – Montana State University
Dr. Burns’ research and extension program focuses on current and emerging problematic weeds in Michigan cropping systems. Current research is focused on biology, ecology, population dynamics, and integrated weed management of problematic weeds with emphasis on practices to mitigate the development and spread of herbicide-resistant weeds.
- Burns E. E., B. K. Keith, M. Y. Refai, B. Bothner, and W. E. Dyer. 2018. Constitutive redox and phosphoproteome changes in multiple herbicide resistant Avena fatua L. are similar to those of systemic acquired resistance and systemic acquired acclimation. Journal of Plant Physiology. 220:105-114.
- Burns E. E., B. K. Keith, L. E. Talbert, and W. E. Dyer. 2017. Non-target site resistance to flucarbazone, imazamethabenz, and pinoxaden is controlled by three linked genes in Avena fatua. Weed Research. 10.1111/wre.12279.
- Burns E. E., B. K. Keith, M. Y. Refai, B. Bothner, and W. E. Dyer. 2017. Proteomic and biochemical assays of glutathione-related proteins in susceptible and multiple herbicide resistant Avena fatua L. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology. 140:69-78.
- Burns E. E., E. A. Lehnhoff, S. C. McKenzie, B. D. Maxwell, W. E. Dyer, and F. D. Menalled. 2017. You can’t fight fire with fire: Model suggests alternative approaches to manage multiple herbicide resistant Avena fatua L. (In press, Weed Research).
- Keith, B. K., E. E. Burns, B. Bothner, C. C. Carey, A. J. Mazurie, J. K. Hilmer, S. Biyiklioglu, H. Budak, and W. E. Dyer. 2017. Intensive herbicide use has selected for constitutively elevated levels of stress‐responsive mRNAs and proteins in multiple herbicide‐resistant Avena fatua L. Pest Management Science. 73:2267–2281.
- Prischmann-Voldseth D. A., E. E. Burns, S. Swenson, and G. G. Gramig. 2015. Life history and phenology of an endophagous stem-mining herbivore (Coleoptera: Curculionidae, Hadroplontus litura) of a clonal weed. Entomol. Soc. Am. Ann. 109(1), 12-21. DOI: 10.1093/aesa/sav098.
- Keith B. K., E. A. Lehnhoff, E. E. Burns, F. D. Menalled, and W. E. Dyer. 2015. Characterisation of Avena fatua populations with resistance to multiple herbicides. Weed Res. 55(6), 621-630. DOI: 10.1111/wre.12172.
- Gramig G. G., E. E. Burns, and D. A. Prischmann-Voldseth. 2015. Predicting Developmental Timing for Immature Canada Thistle Stem-Mining Weevils, Hadroplontus litura (Coleoptera: Curculionidae). Environ. Entomol. 44(4):1085-94.
- Burns, E. E., D. A. Prischmann-Voldseth, and G. G. Gramig. 2013. Integrated management of Canada thistle (Cirsium arvense) with insect biological control and plant competition under variable soil nutrients. Invasive Plant Sci. Manag. 6:512-520.
- Prischmann-Voldseth, D. A., G. G. Gramig, and E. E. Burns. 2012. Home on the range: establishment of a Canada thistle biological control agent. Rangeland J. 34:2-5.