Alexandra Kravchenko, Ph.D.
Department of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences
1066 Bogue St., Room 376
East Lansing, MI 48824
Area of Expertise:
Micro- to macro-scale biogeochemical processes involved in soil carbon and nitrogen cycling. Current research focus is on understanding the role of soil pores in micro-scale processes driving soil carbon sequestration and greenhouse gas emissions; and the role of the interactions between land use and management, soil properties and topography for spatial variability of soil carbon sequestration and greenhouse gas emissions across agricultural fields and landscapes.
B.S. in Soil Physics, Moscow State University, Russia
Ph.D. University of Wyoming
- Sasha Kravchenko's publications on Google Scholar.
- STT 464 - Statistical for Biologists
- STT 814 - Advanced Statistics for Biologists
Selected Recent Publications:
- Kravchenko, A.N.. A.K. Guber, B. S. Rasavi, J. Koestel, M.Y. Quigley, G. P. Robertson, and Y. Kuzyakov. 2019. Microbial spatial footprint as a driver of soil carbon stabilization. Nature Communications doi.org/10.1038/s41467-019-11057-4.
- Kravchenko, A.N., W. Otten, P. Garnier, V. Pot, P.C. Baveye 2019. Soil aggregates as biogeochemical reactors: Not a way forward in the research on soil–atmosphere exchange of greenhouse gases. Letter to the editor Global Change Biology DOI: 10.1111/gcb.14640
- Baveye, P.C., W. Otten, A. Kravchenko, M. Balseiro Romero, É. Beckers, M. Chalhoub, C. Darnault, T. Eickhorst, P. Garnier, S. Hapca, O. Monga, C. Müller, N. Nunan, V. Pot, S. Schlüter, H. Schmidt, H.-J. Vogel. 2018. Emergent properties of microbial activity in heterogeneous soil microenvironments: Different research approaches are slowly converging, yet major challenges remain. Frontiers in Microbiology, for special topic Elucidating Microbial Processes in Soils and Sediments: Microscale Measurements and Modeling. doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2018.01929
- Toosi, E.R., A.N. Kravchenko, A.K. Guber, M.L. Rivers. 2017. Pore characteristics regulate priming and fate of carbon from plant residue. Soil Biology and Biochem. 113:219-230.
- Kravchenko, A.N, E. R. Toosi, A.K. Guber, N. E. Ostrom, J. Yu, K. Azeem, M. L. Rivers, and G. P. Robertson. 2017. Hotspots of soil N2O emission enhanced through water absorption by plant residue. Nature Geoscience doi:10.1038/ngeo2963.
- Kravchenko, A.N., S.S. Snapp, and G. P. Robertson. 2017. Field-scale experiments reveal persistent yield gaps in low-input and organic cropping systems. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences doi:10.1073/pnas.1612311114.
- Kravchenko, A.N. and A.K. Guber. 2017. Soil pores and their contributions to soil carbon processes. Geoderma doi:10.1016/j.geoderma.2016.06.027
- Kravchenko, A.N., W. C. Negassa, A. K. Guber, and M.L. Rivers. 2015. Protection of soil carbon within macro-aggregates depends on intra-aggregate pore characteristics. Scientific Reports 5 doi:10.1038/srep16261.