Linda Hanson, Ph.D.
Department of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences
Research Plant Pathologist and Adjunct Professor
612 Wilson Rd. Rm 37
East Lansing, MI 48824
Saginaw Valley Research and Extension Center
Saginaw Valley Research and Extension Center
3775 S. Reese Road
Frankenmuth, MI 48734
Area of Expertise:
Focus on soil-borne pathogens, particularly fungi, sugar beet and rotation crops, diversity and interaction w/ cropping systems, mycology and soil-borne diseases.
B.S., University of Washington, Botany
M.S., Michigan State University, Plant Pathology
Ph.D., Cornell University, Plant Pathology, minors mycology and genetics
Websites of Interest:
- USDA Profile Page
- USDA ARS Website for Sugarbeet and Bean Research in East Lansing
- Sugarbeet and Bean Research: East Lansing, MI
Articles published in peer reviewed Journals:
- Merlington, A., R. Bayma, K. Hildebrandt, L.E. Hanson, L. Steere, and W.W. Kirk. First report of Fusarium proliferatum causing dry rot in Michigan commercial potato (Solanum tuberosum) production. Plant Disease (accepted for publication November, 2013)
- Rojas, J.A., W.W. Kirk, E.N. Gachango, D.S. Douches, and L.E. Hanson. 2014. Tuber blight development in potato cultivars in response to different genotypes of Phytopthora infestans Journal of Phytopathology.162:33-42.
- Meng, Q.X., L.E. Hanson, D.S. Douches, and J.J. Hao. 2013. Managing scab diseases of potato and radish caused by Streptomyces spp. using Bacillus amyloliquefaciens BAC03 and other biomaterials. Biological Control. 67:373-379.
- Trueman, C.L., L.E. Hanson, N. Rosenzweig, Q.W. Jiang, and W.W. Kirk. 2013. First report of QoI resistance in Cercospora beticola from sugar beet in Ontario, Canada. Plant Disease. 97:1255.
- Kirk, W.W., L.E. Hanson, and C.L. Sprague. 2013. Glyphosate and fungicide effects on Cercospora leaf spot in four glyphosate-resistant sugar beet (Beta vulgaris) varieties. Crop Protection. 44:38-43.
- Meng, Q.X., H.H. Jiang, L.E. Hanson, and J.J. Hao. 2012. Characterizing a novel strain of Bacillus amyloliquefaciens BAC03 for potential biological control application. Journal of Applied Microbiology 113:1165-1175.
- Gachango, E.N., L.E. Hanson, A. Rojas, J.J. Hao, and W.W. Kirk. 2012. Fusarium spp. causing dry rot of seed potato tubers in Michigan and their sensitivity to fungicides. Plant Disease. 96:1767-1774.
- Kirk, W.W., L.E. Hanson. G.D. Franc, W.L. Stump, E.N. Gachango, G. Clark, and J. Stewart. 2012. First report of strobilurin resistance in Cercospora beticola in sugar beet (Beta vulgaris) in Michigan and Nebraska, USA. New Disease Reports. 26, 3 [doi:105197/j.2044-0588.2012.026.003].
- Jiang, H.H., Q.X. Meng, L.E. Hanson, and J.J. Hao. 2012. First report of Streptomyces stelliscabiei causing potato common scab in Michigan. Plant Disease 96:904.
- Webb, K.M., P.A. Covey, and L.E. Hanson. 2012. Pathogenic and phylogenetic analysis of Fusarium oxysporum from sugarbeet in Michigan and Minnesota. Journal of Sugar Beet Research. 49:38-56.
- Barnett, K.A., C.L. Sprague, W.W. Kirk, and L.E. Hanson. 2012. Influence of glyphosate on Rhizoctonia crown and root rot (Rhizoctonia solani) in glyphosate-resistant sugarbeet (Beta vulgaris). Weed Science. 60:113-120.
- Gachango, E.N., W.W. Kirk, L.E. Hanson, A. Rojas, and P. Tumbalam. 2011. First report of Fusarium torulosum causing dry rot of seed potato tubers in the United States. Plant Disease. 95:1194.
- Barnett, K.A., C.L. Sprague, W.W. Kirk, and L.E. Hanson. 2011. Lack of interaction between glyphosate and fungicide treatments on Rhizoctonia crown and root rot in glyphosate-resistant sugarbeet. Journal of Sugar Beet Research. 48:1-16.
- Strausbaugh, C.A., I.A. Eujayl, L.W. Panella, and L.E. Hanson. 2011. Virulence, distribution, and diversity of Rhizoctonia solani from sugar beet in Idaho and Oregon. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology. 33:210-226.
- Hanson, L.E. and J.M. McGrath. 2011. The perfect stage of powdery mildew of Beta vulgaris found in Michigan. Plant Disease. 95:494.
- Webb, K.M., A.L. Hill, J. Laufmann, L.E. Hanson, and L. Panella. 2011. Long term preservation of a collection of Rhizoctonia solani using cryogenic storage. Annals of Applied Biology. 158:297-304.
- Gachango, E., W. Kirk, L.E. Hanson, A. Rojas, P. Tumbalam and K. Shetty. 2011. First report of in-vitro fludioxonil-resistant isolates of Fusarium spp. causing potato dry rot in Michigan. Plant Disease. 95:228
- Hill, A.L., P. Reeves, R.L. Larson, A. Fenwick, L.E. Hanson, and L. Panella. 2011. Genetic variability among isolates of Fusarium oxysporum from sugar beet. Plant Pathology. 60:496-505.
- Hanson, L.E. 2010. Interaction of Rhizoctonia solani and Rhizopus stolonifer causing root rot of sugar beet. Plant Disease. 94:504-509.
Book chapters or books:
- Hanson, L.E. 2010. Genetics of fungicide resistance in Cercospora and Mycosphaerella. pp. 179-188 In Cercospora Leaf Spot of Sugar Beet and Related Species. R.T. Lartey, J.J. Weiland, L. Panella, P.W. Crous, and C. E. Windels, eds. APS Press. St. Paul, MN.
Articles published in editor refereed Journals:
- Hanson, L.E., T.R. Goodwill, and J.M. McGrath. 2013. Beta PIs from the USDA-ARS, NPGS evaluated for resistance to Cercospora beticola, 2012. Plant Disease Management Reports (online) 7:FC067. DOI:10,1094/PDMR07. The American Phytopathological Society, St. Paul, MN.
- Hanson, L.E., T.M. Duckert, T.R. Goodwill, and J.M. McGrath. 2012. Beta PIs from the USDA-ARS, NPGS evaluated for resistance to Cercospora beticola, 2011. Plant Disease Management Reports (online) 6:FC037. DOI:10,1094/PDMR06. The American Phytopathological Society, St. Paul, MN.
- Hanson, L.E., T.M. Duckert, T.R. Goodwill, and J.M. McGrath. 2011. Beta PIs from the USDA-ARS, NPGS evaluated for resistance to Cercospora beticola, 2010. Plant Disease Management Reports (online) 5:FC056. DOI:10,1094/PDMR05. The American Phytopathological Society, St. Paul, MN.
- Research and Education Advisory Council. 2010. Management Guidelines for Controlling Rhizoctonia in Sugarbeets. MSU Extension and Michigan Sugar. 4 pgs.
- Hanson, L.E. and J.M. McGrath. 2011. Rhizoctonia seedling disease on sugar beet. International Sugar Journal. 113:584-589.
Geiser, D, T. Aoki, C.W. Bacon, S. Baker, M.K. Bhattacharyya, M. Brandt, D. Brown, L. Burgess, S. Chulze, J. Coleman, J. Correll, S. Covert, P. Crous, C. Cuomo, G. de Hoog, A. Di Pietro, W. Elmer, L. Epstein, R. Frandsen, S. Freeman, T. Gagkaeva, A. Glenn, T. Gordon, N. Gregory, K. Hammond-Kosack, L.E. Hanson, M.D.M. Jimenez-Gasco, S. Kang, H.C. Kistler, G. Kuldau, J. Leslie, A. Logrieco, G. Lu, E. Lysoe, L.J. Ma, S. McCormick, O. Migheli, A. Moretti, F. Munaut, K. O’Donnell, L. Pfenning, R. Ploetz, R. Proctor, S. Rehner, R. Vincent, A. Rooney, B. Salleh, M. Scandiani, J. Scauflaire, D. Short, E. Steenkamp, H. Suga, B. Summerell, D. Suttton, U. Thrane, F. Trail, A. van Diepeningen, H. VanEtten, A. Viljoen, C. Waalwijk, T. Ward, M. Wingfield, J.R. Xu, X.B. Yang, T. Yli-Matila, N. Zhang. 2013. One Fungus, One Name: Defining the genus Fusarium in a scientifically robust way that preserves longstanding use. Phytopathology. 103:400-408 (letter to the editor).