Osayanmon Wellington Osawe
Research interest: Rural Livelihood Development, Agricultural Value Chains (Rice, Aquaculture, Beef), Development and Welfare Economics
Research Supervisors: Dr. Kabir Kayode Salman and Dr. Saweda Liverpool-Tasie (MSU)
Semesters at MSU: Spring and Fall 2018
Mr. Osawe arrived at MSU in January 2018. His MSU supervisor was Dr. Saweda Liverpool-Tasie, Department of Agricultural, Food and Resource Economics.
On March 31, Mr. Osawe along with 2 other scholars made presentations at African Graduate Students Association (AGSA)’s annual conference at Michigan State University (MSU). The title of his presentation was “Policy Options for Improving the Competitiveness of Domestic Rice Production in Nigeria?”
In Summer -2018 academic year Mr. Osawe returned to Nigeria for the summer. During this time, he participated in a meeting with Prof. Adebola Ekanola, Director, Office of International Programmes (OIP), University of Ibadan (UI) during the reporting period. This visit took place with his professor in University of Ibadan, Dr. K.K. Salman (who visited MSU in Spring semester 2018) and Dr. Oyinkan Tasie to report on the project scholar experience as part of the collaborative activities of policy project and UI. Mr. Osawe briefly reported on his MSU experience, the new skills acquired and what he planned to do in the days and years ahead to improve graduate education and research in Nigeria. Dr. Salman reported on his experience during his visit to MSU. There were 7 in attendance, comprising two females and five males. The director of UI OIP, the secretary to the director and an office assistant, Mr. Wellington Osawe, Dr. K.K. Salman, Mr. Iredele Ogunbayo (all of University of Ibadan) and Dr. Oyinkan Tasie. The director, Prof. Ekanola promised to include the report of the project scholars program and experiences in the next quarterly magazine of the University organized and written by the Office of International Programmes, UI.
He worked on securing GIS data for Kebbi State to support the state in developing its agricultural policy. His efforts to source the relevant data from different institutions of higher learning in Nigeria are still on-going in this regard. NIMET has been contacted in this regard and also sourcing the data from the Federal ministry of environment in Kebbi state and other relevant parastatals for this purpose.
He has also supported the project efforts to collect relevant primary data on agricultural productivity (specifically related to rice farming) in Kebbi state through supporting the design of a survey instrument.
He has made necessary corrections to a write-up of his research and plans to finalize this work soon.
Capacity building of Nigerians
Mr. Osawe participated in 12 trainings on Introduction to STATA (11) and Introduction to R. The trainings through Dec 2019 have been:
Assisted Mr. Wale: Introduction to STATA
- June 19‐21, 2017, Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki, Faculty and Graduate Students
- June 22‐24, 2017, Ebonyi State, Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Abakaliki, Civil Servants
- June 28‐30, 2017, Delta State University, Anwai Campus Asaba, Faculty and Graduate Students
- July 3-5, 2017, Delta State Ministry of Agriculture, Civil Servant
- July 24-27, 2017, Benue State Ministry of Agriculture. , State Ministry Personnel – majorly planners, statisticians and policy analysts
- July 28-29, 2017, Akperan Orshi College of Agriculture, Yandev, Benue State, Faculty and graduate students
- July 31-Aug 2, 2017, Niger State Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, State Ministry Personnel – majorly planners, statisticians and policy analysts
- Aug 3-4, 2017, Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida University, Lapai, Niger State, Faculty and graduate students
- Aug 7-8, 2017 Kebbi State Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, State Ministry Personnel – majorly planners, statisticians and policy analysts
- Aug 9-10, 2017 Kebbi State University of Science & Technology, Aliero, Kebbi State, Faculty and graduate students
- Aug 18-19, 2017, Cross River University of Technology, Faculty and graduate students
- Aug 21-22 ,2017, Kebbi State Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Kebbi State Faculty and graduate students
Assisted Dr. Michael Olabisi: R Programming Language
- July 9-20, 10-day training on the R Statistical Package at the Center for Petroleum and Energy Economics at the University of Ibadan, Faculty and Graduate Students, Private Sector
- March 31, 2018, African Graduate Students Association (AGSA)’s annual conference at Michigan State University, “Policy Options for Improving the Competitiveness of Domestic Rice Production in Nigeria”, Faculty and Graduate Students
- October 9, 2018. Department of Agricultural, Food and Resource Economics (MSU), “Competitiveness Analysis of Rice Production in Nigeria: An Application of Policy Analysis Matrix (PAM)”, Faculty and Graduate Students
- November 9-11 2018, Sustainability and Development Conference, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Presented research on "Policy Options for Improving Competitiveness of Rice Production and Processing in Nigeria", International Conference with over 500 participants from 50 different countries.
June 25, 2018, Office of International Programmes, University of Ibadan, Nigeria, “Report #1 to home institution”, Director, Office of International Programmes, University of Ibadan, www.oip.ui.edu.ng