March 31, 2015
An appropriate handshake is an important step to make a good first impression at a job interview or other times a person is meeting new people. This activity and handout will help you learn the perfect business handshake.
- The Perfect Business Handshake Activity (updated 6/2012)
- The Perfect Business Handshake Handout (updated 6/2012)
Job Interview Etiquette
There are three parts to the interview process: before, during and after. This handout presents tips to help make your interview experience a positive one.
- Winning Job Interviews Handout (updated 6/2012)
Good manners are practical guidelines to help you interact positively with other people and can add to your future success in the world of work. This 4-H Career Education document outlines and explains the basics of good manners.
A marching band puts in a great deal of training time before any performance so that its members are confident when they step out on the playing field that they have practiced and know what to expect. In the same way, knowing the types of questions you might be asked in a job interview and how you would answer them can help you be more prepared and comfortable during the interview. Read each question on the handout, then think about and write down your answers to it. Just before a job interview, rereading the questions and your answers can help you feel more prepared. You may also want to ask someone to help you by doing a mock interview. Have the person help you practice by asking you the sample interview questions, then giving you feedback on your responses. (This single-page handout was adapted from an MSU Career Services and Placement document by Jackie Martin, MSU Extension, Eaton County.)
- Sample Interview Questions Handout (updated 6/2012)
Informational Interviewing is a powerful way to build your network, make contacts, explore and research careers of interest by connecting with professionals. Check out the links for additional resources on the topic:
- Short 15 minute interactive course, Investigating Informational Interviews, featuring a videos, polls, open ended questions, email template and resources to learn more (new class, 8/23)
- Exploring Careers through Informational Interviews Question Handout (updated 8/23)
- Informational Interviewing from MSU Career Services