Keeping Your 4-H Animals Safe & HealthyDOWNLOAD FILE
August 8, 2019
Protect your projects from illness.
- Change your shoes when going into and leaving your barn or housing area, or wear protective boot covers.
- Do not allow friends to visit your animals unless they have on clean clothes and shoes and have washed their hands.
- Clean your hands. Wash them with soap and hot water before and after handling your animals.
- Have separate clothes and shoes just for working with your animals.
- Clean boots and equipment, such as feeders and waterers, with soap and hot water or disinfectant.
- Keep animals that have been at the fair away from others for 30 days.
- Use separate equipment for animals that were at the fair and those left at home.
- If your animals from fair show symptoms of illness, call your local veterinarian.