MSU Extension Healthy Meeting GuidelinesDOWNLOAD FILE
This simple checklist helps ensure your internal and external meetings are both healthy and productive. If you download the file, you will have a printable PDF with a convenient checklist for your use.
Michigan State University Extension Standard Healthy Meeting Guidelines
- Make water the default beverage.
- Do not offer full-calorie sugar-sweetened beverages.
- Offer fruits and/or vegetables every time food is served.
- Offer reasonable portion sizes.
- In buffet lines or self-service, support sensible portions by offering reasonably sized entrees and appropriately sized serving utensils and plates.
- Use whole grains whenever possible (100% whole grain or whole grain as the first ingredient).
- Serve healthier condiments and dressings and offer them on the side.
- Look for and try to offer lower-sodium options.
- Make the majority of the meat offered lean (unprocessed) meat.
- Provide a vegetarian option.
- For special occasions and dinner, cut desserts in half or serve small portions. For lunches, breaks, or regular meetings serve fruit as a dessert.
- Do not place candy or candy bowls in the meeting space.
- Whenever possible, offer foods prepared in a healthy way (grilled, baked, poached, roasted, braised, or boiled). Avoid fried foods.
- Mention to attendees (through announcements or in written material) that it is fine to move within the meeting space (standing, stretching); integrate exercise equipment if possible within the space (exercise balls in place of some chairs, raised tables for standing).
- Whenever possible, allow for comfortable clothes/shoes to support physical activity during breaks.
- Periodically break up sitting time.
- For conferences or all-day meetings, support physical activity before, during, and after the work of the day.
- Provide adapted programming or alternative activities for those with physical disabilities.
- Identify someone to facilitate a short physical activity break(s).
- Reduce waste and packaging whenever possible.
- Consider appeal to meeting attendees, sustainability, and usefulness of conference giveaways.
- Consider locally sourced food and giveaways.
- Have recycling bins available.
- Provide handouts on a flash drive or make them available online to reduce paper
- Meetings should be held in smoke-free facilities.