Sanitation Requirements in the Food Code for Processing Venison in a Retail Food Establishment
March 22, 2020
Download: Sanitation Requirements in the Food Code for Processing Venison in a Retail Food Establishment
Use Approved Water System
• Verify your water supply is from a safe and approved source.
• Have well water tested annually, and keep a copy of the results on ﬁle.
Employee Health Requirements
• Prevent employees diagnosed with or having symptoms of an illness, wound, or other afﬂiction that might contaminate product from processing carcasses.
Protect Equipment and Utensil Food Contact Surfaces
• Check the condition of all food contact surfaces before and after processing venison, including cutting boards, knives, grinder, gloves, and outer garments.
• Schedule routine cleaning and sanitizing of all food contact surfaces before and after processing venison.
• Conduct routine cleaning and sanitizing every four hours unless the processing room is refrigerated.
• Separate raw and ready-to-eat foods, and prevent overcrowding in freezers, coolers, processing, and storage areas.
• Implement safe handling procedures from the time the venison enters the store through processing and sales, to prevent cross-contamination.
Hand Washing Facilities
• Provide hand washing sinks in both the processing and restroom areas.
• Supply hand washing sinks with hand soap and paper towels.
• Keep restrooms clean and in good repair.