Director, Planning, Design and Construction Doctorate Program
PhD Concentration in Environmental Design
The Planning, Design and Construction doctorate program concentration in Environmental Design is intended for individuals who wish to obtain advanced knowledge and skills in research, which can make a scholarly contribution to the body of knowledge in the discipline of environment and design.Graduates of this program will possess the knowledge and skills necessary to understand the effects of plans, regulations, design, materials, project management techniques and construction systems on the economic, environmental and social concerns of stakeholders and society.
What Makes Us Unique?
- Applied and in-depth knowledge in the discipline of environment and design.
- An integrative approach to planning, design and construction, due to the multidisciplinary nature of our school.
- Enhanced opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Connectivity to world-class practitioners and scholars.
- Internationally diverse and dynamic campus life.
- Enhanced support for international students and scholars via MSU’s well-established programs.
What Are Core Areas of Study?
- Social and Behavioral Science in Planning and Design.
- Ecological and Natural Resource Science in Planning and Design.
- Humanities and Arts in Planning and Design.
- Built Environment and Health Sciences in Planning and Design.
- Landscape Engineering in Planning and Design.
Who Can Apply?
Preferred backgrounds: Bachelor’s and master’s degrees in allied design areas, such as:
- Interior design.
- Landscape architecture.
- Graphic design.
- Urban design.
- A related design field.
The PhD Curriculum culminates in a dissertation that represents state-of-the-art analysis combined with practical applications. This is a 45-credit program that can start in fall or spring semesters.
Degree Requirements and PhD Student Handbook
How to Apply
This document outlines the details for admission to our PhD programs.
Contact the PhD Program Director, for academic, research and program-related inquiries.
Graduate Program Coordinator
For application, admission and administrative inquiries.