The Center is positioned for global reach and impact and, to this end, the Center is responsible for:
- Initiating global research and developing collaborative partnerships.
- Developing international outreach initiatives.
- Developing international educational opportunities.
The Center’s foundation is built on three main areas of concentration: research, outreach, and education.
The center conducts primary, pioneering research focused on the following five main areas:
- The role of packaging in promoting sustainability.
- Innovation for improved sustainability.
- Integrated end of life solutions.
- Improving Lifecycle assessment methodology for validating sustainability of packaging systems.
- Enhancing the safety of packaging.
See Current Research section for further details.
The center provides outreach materials and venues to bring new information to industry, government, and NGO’s that includes:
- Research update seminars.
- Bi-annual publication of significant new information and reviews.
- A web-based resource center providing a broad range of information related to sustainable packaging.
- A research database on sustainability.
The Center integrates sustainability into all levels across our teaching mission:
- Developing undergraduate course materials related to sustainable packaging.
- Developing on-line courses and training materials in sustainable packaging suitable for packaging professionals and potentially leading to certification programs.
- Establishing an international presence for the Center through research, education, and training centers.
- Developing a global network of sustainable packaging organizations.