Consortium for the Study of Nigerian Rural Development - CSNRD. [1965 - 1971]
Non-AFRE Co-Principle Investigators: Other AEC/AFRE Faculty: C. Laurent, Herb Kriesel and Vic Smith
Project Name: Consortium for the Study of Nigerian Rural Development (CSNRD) *
Donor: Agency for International Development
Contract No: AID/afr-264
Account No: MSU 71-2003
Duration: April 1965-May 1971
Documents: (Click here to view)
Key MSU Faculty: Glenn Johnson, Director, George Dike, Deputy Director, C. Laurent, H. Kriesel, M Purvis, C. Eicher, and V. Smith Agricultural Economics) .
Project Goals: To provide an objective assessment of AID's total contribution toward Nigerian rural development, including studies of American-supported rural development projects and of long-run problems in the Nigerian economy relating to AID agricultural assistance programs.
Project Plans/Objectives: Eight sub-projects were involved in this MSU-Led Consortium undertaking. (For more details on the non-MSU subproject, click here).
1. University Education in Agriculture - University of Wisconsin
2. Sub-University Education and Extension Work - Colorado State University
3. Direct Public and Private Investment in Nigerian Agriculture - Michigan State University
4. Human Nutrition and Resource Use - Michigan State University
5. Modernizing the Northern Beef Industry - Kansas State University
6. Agricultural Research - Kansas State University
7. Agricultural Credit - Ohio State University sub-contract
8. Cultural Restrictions on Development (never activated due to political conditions in the country) - Colorado State University
Cooperating Institutions: U.S.--Colorado State University, Kansas State University, University of Wisconsin. Research Triangle Institute of the University of North Carolina, Ohio State University, U.S. Department of Interior, U.S. Department of Agriculture; Nigeria--Federal Ministry of Economic Development, Federal Ministry of Agricultural and Natural Resources, National Universities Commission, the Nigerian Institute of Social and Economic Research, and the Economic Development Institute.
Project Summary: This study was directed toward maximizing the effectiveness of U.S. foreign aid to Nigerian rural development studies. In a cooperative arrangement with several U.S. institutions, with MSU providing consortium leadership, 33 papers were generated and published under numbered CSNRD designation. Another 12 papers were published as working papers.
- Strategies and Recommendations for Nigerian Rural Development 1969/1985 . 1969. By Glenn L. Johnson, Scoville, O. J., Dike, G. K., and Eicher, C. K. CSNRD Report No. 33. Michigan State University
- Consortium for the Study of Nigerian Rural Development (CSNRD). 1969. In-Country Publication List - CSNRD Project.
- Employment Generation in African Agriculture. 1970. By Eicher, Carl K., Thomas Zalla, James Kocher, and Fred Winch. Research Report: Michigan State University. Institute of International Agriculture No. 9. (French Version of this report also at this link)
- Consortium for the Study of Nigerian Rural Development (CSNRD): An Inventory of Project Records at the MSU University Archives and Historical Collections
- USAID/DEC Archive - Document Search for This Project
* This description is adapted from work by Nancy E. Horn, an MSU alumnus from the Anthropology Department, published in 1985 “A Project History of Michigan State University’s Participation in International Development for the period 1951 – 1985”. See AFRE Emeritus Faculty - Acknowledgements