Food Security II Cooperative Agreement. [1992 - 2002]
The objective of this USAID funded project was to increase food security in developing countries as part of broad-based, market-orientated, sustainable economic growth. A sub-objective was to ensure adoption by public and private sector decision makers (including A.I.D. and other donor agencies) of effective policies, programs and management processes that promote food security, based on project-generated research and analyses. FS II researchers and host-country collaborators engaged in the following activities:
1. Applied research on policy-relevant food security issues, including household-level data collection and analysis, country-specific studies and cross-country syntheses of research findings.
2. Policy dialogue, networking, and dissemination via meetings, interim reports, workshops and publications to assist USAIDs and participating host governments to identify food security issues, design food security research activities and/or demonstrate policy and program applications of the project's research findings.
3. Capacity-building through on-the-job training of researchers and analysts within host countries and selective funding of host country graduate degree research.
4. Applied research/outreach themes:
- Improving access to food by vulnerable groups
- Policy/cctions to promote food security through broad-based income growth
- Designing cost effective food-systems and related institutions
- Strengthening farm and non-farm sources of income
- View - Food Security II/III Legacy Website
- View - Food Security III Legacy Website – In Country/Regional Project Activities
- View - Food Security III - Cross Country Outreach Activities
- View – Professional Publications from FSG Group
- View - Presentation - Highlights of FS II/III Cooperative Agreement:
- Cutting Hunger and Poverty in Africa through Better Programs and Policies
- Videos about the MSU/AFRE Food Security Group, by: (Crawford ) (Boughton)
- Capacity Building for Food Policy Analysis Lessons: Learned from the Food Security Cooperative Agreement. Duncan Boughton and Eric Crawford. Presentation at USAID. Washington, D.C. March 13, 2012.
- Overview: Food Security Program at Michigan State University. Duncan Boughton and Eric W. Crawford. Presentation to Dr. Rob Bertram, USAID. May 20, 2011.
- Staatz and Yumkella Video - Agribusiness Seminar at IFPRI. 2011. Video Presentation
- Food Security by The Numbers. Observations from the USAID-MSU Food Security Cooperative Agreement FS III. Challenges in Collecting and Using Information To Inform Goals of Poverty Reduction, Food Security, Enhanced Productivity and Income Growth for Small-Scale Farmers. Michael T. Weber. Presented at 2010 USAID Economic Growth Officer’s Conference. Washington DC. June 21-25, 2010.
Other Selected FS II Outputs
- View – MSU International Development Working Paper 101. Lessons Learned from 25 Years of Food Security Research, Capacity-Building, and Outreach. The MSU Food Security Group. October 30, 2009
- View – Policy Brief No. 84 Improving Food Security in Africa: Highlights of 25 Years of Research, Capacity-Building, and Outreach. The MSU Food Security Group. October 2009.
- View - Examples of On-Campus and In-Counry Publication Series FS II/III has helped establish/maintain
- Professional Contribution from Food Security Related Activities (Journals, Books, Book Chapters, etc)
- Reflections on Trying to Change Development Policy. by MSU Faculty and Students Making Contributions to the Partnership to Cut Hunger and Poverty in Africa:
- MSU/FS II and Other contributions to the Partnership to Cut Poverty and Hunger in Africa: Historical Milestones
- Facilitating Effective Food Security Policy Reform. 1996. By MSU Food Security II Faculty. MSU Food Security International Development Policy Syntheses 17.
- A Strategic Approach to Agricultural Research Program Planning in Sub-Saharan Africa. 1996. By D. Boughton, E.W. Crawford, J.A. Howard, J. Oehmke, J. Shaffer et J.M. Staatz. MSU Food Security International Development Policy Synthesis No 8.
- Fostering Agricultural and Food System Transformation in Africa. 1997. By J.M. Staatz e M. Ba. MSU Food Security International Development Policy Synthesis No 13.
- Payoffs to Investments in Agricultural Technology in Sub-Saharan Africa. 1996. By J.F. Oehmke and E.W. Crawford. MSU Food Security International Development Policy Synthesis No 20.
- USAID Development Clearing House FS II Documents – Food Security II (AEP-5459-A-00-2041-00)
- Food Security II - USAID Project/Program/Activity Design Document
- Food Security II – Final Evaluation
- Food Security II – Mid-Term Evaluation
- Mozambique Study
- Rwanda Study
- Zambia Food Security Project - FSRP
- Sahel Regional Program
- Ethiopia Food Security Project
- Agricultural Productivity Studies
- Food Access Synthesis Studies
- Strategic Planning Studies
- Technology Assessment Studies
- Agricultural Transformation Workshop