Korean Agricultural Planning Project (KAPP). [1974 – 1977]
Non-AFRE Co-Principle Investigators: D. Culver, R. Duvick, S. Driscoll, M. Hanratty, F. Mangum, and H. Kriesel (Agricultural Economics)
Project Name: Korean Agricultural Planning Project (KAPP)
Donor: Government of Korea with funds from the Agency for International Development
Contract No: AID/ASIA-C-1157
Account No: 71-2002
Duration: March 1974 - December 1977
Key MSU Faculty: G. Rossmiller, and G. Johnson, Co-Directors; D. Culver, R. Duvick, S. Driscoll, M. Hanratty, F. Mangum, H. Kriesel and K. Wright (Agricultural Economics)
Documents: (Click here to view)
Project Goals: To increase the capacity of the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries and through them the government of the Republic of Korea, for sound planning, agricultural policy formulation, program development, and project design and execution toward more rapid and effective development of the agricultural sector.
- To understand the organizational structure and the operational processes presently used by the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries (MAF) in planning developmental activities, and to identify the constraints in these systems leading to ineffective, inefficient, and operationally unsound outcomes;
- To advise on organizational and functional means to eradicate the constraints identified above;
- To do substantive work on current issues, within the scope of the project, to relieve current problems and to provide on-the-job training in the use of modern analytical techniques and processes for Korean personnel of MAF;
- To coordinate the activities of the project with the operational activities of the Korean Agricultural Sector Study (KASS) team to exploit to the fullest the KASS model, developed with MSU assistance; to guide development of changes in the KASS model to better serve the agricultural outlook model, and to recommend new components to the KASS model that will contribute to planning and agricultural policy analysis functions.
Cooperating Institutions: Korean Agricultural Economics Research Institute, Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, the Office of the Economic Advisor to the President of Korea; North Carolina State University
Project Summary: The initial activity under the KAPP contract was a review and analysis of the Korean agricultural statistics and data acquisition system. This activity led to a report with a series of recommendations for improvement of the system. From its inception, the KAPP contract envisioned a three-way cooperative effort for the purpose of improving the operational process through which planning, policy formulation, program development, and project design and execution take place with respect to the agricultural sector within the Korean government. MSU supplied specialists in the four areas of concentration with the recognition that their inputs were complementary and thereby required cooperative efforts and interaction through comprehensive work plans. In order to assure coordination between the KASS and KAPP projects, a single project leader was designated.
- Korean Agricultural Planning Project Final Report 1974-1977. 1977. Rossmiller, George E. et. al. East Lansing: A Joint Project Report of the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, Republic of Korea and Michigan State University.
- Korean Agricultural Sector Simulation and Korean Agricultural Planning Project: Review Team Report - Special Evaluation. 1976. By George S. Tolley. Special USAID Evaluation Review of Michigan State University, KASS and KAPP Projects.