Learn how to buy, cook, and eat healthy food
Michigan State University is an implementing Cooking Matters partner with a statewide footprint.
Cooking Matters hands-on courses serve limited resource families and offer six week long cooking courses to parents, families, adults, and child care providers. Each course is team-taught by a culinary and nutrition educator. Participants learn how to plan and budget for healthy, affordable, and delicious meals. Adult participants take home a bag of groceries at the end of each class. Adult courses are available in English and Spanish.
Class series are taught throughout the community, including but not limited to community centers, churches, health sites, schools and local MSU Extension offices. Group series are available if there are 10 to 15 people, and at least half of the group is income eligible.
We offer the following programs:
- Cooking Matters for Parents teaches parents with young children how to prepare and shop sensibly for healthy meals on a budget.
- Cooking Matters for Families engages adults and school-aged youth together to learn about healthy eating, planning meals as a family, and working together in the kitchen.
- Cooking Matters for Adults teaches adults how to prepare and shop sensibly for healthy meals on a budget.
- Cooking Matters for Child Care Providers equips child care professionals with necessary skills to select safe, healthy meals on a budget for young children.
- Cooking Matters at the Store provides participants with hands-on education as they shop for food, giving them skills to compare foods for cost and nutrition.
If you are interested in the Cooking Matters program please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donate now to support the Cooking Matters program.
Find an Upcoming Program Near you
January 7, 2020 - February 11, 2020 Congrational United Church 3191 Kneeland St Lewiston, MI 49756
Through a six week program, Cooking Matters empowers families with the skills to stretch their food budget dollars and cook healthy meals.
January 8, 2020 - February 12, 2020 Dover Court Apartments, 1441 E. Broomfield, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858
Hands on cooking and nutrition class with adults.
January 15, 2020 - February 19, 2020 Sparrow Demonstration Kitchen 1215 E Michigan Ave., Lansing, MI 48912
Cooking Matters for Adults is a nutrition program where participants will learn how to eat healthy, cook and grocery shop on a limited budget.
January 23, 2020 - February 27, 2020 Demonstration Kitchen at Sparrow Hospital 1215 E Michigan Ave. Lansing MI, 48912
This free six week course is team-taught by a volunteer chef and nutrition educator. Topics include meal preparation, menu planning, nutrition and physical activity.
January 27, 2020 12:30PM - 2:30PM Taylor School, 1515 Cemetery Rd, Petoskey, MI 49770
One and one-half hour, hands-on nutrition education program that includes cooking activities.
Not seeing an upcoming class in your area? Contact us at your county MSU Extension office for more information about this program in your area.