View information by type
Learn how to buy, cook, and eat healthy food
Michigan State University Extension is an implementing Cooking Matters partner with a statewide footprint.
Cooking Matters hands-on courses serve limited resource families and offer six week long cooking courses to parents, families, adults, and child care providers. Each course is team-taught by a culinary and nutrition educator.
Participants learn how to plan and budget for healthy, affordable, and delicious meals. Adult participants take home a bag of groceries to practice their new cooking skills with a recipe learned in each class. Adult courses are available in English and Spanish.
Class series are taught throughout the community including but not limited to community centers, churches, health sites, schools and local MSU Extension offices. Group series are available if there are 10 to 15 people, and at least half of the group is income eligible.
We offer the following programs:
- Cooking Matters for Parents teaches parents with young children how to prepare and shop sensibly for healthy meals on a budget.
- Cooking Matters for Families engages adults and school-aged youth together to learn about healthy eating, planning meals as a family, and working together in the kitchen.
- Cooking Matters for Adults teaches adults how to prepare and shop sensibly for healthy meals on a budget.
- Cooking Matters for Child Care Providers equips child care professionals with necessary skills to select safe, healthy meals on a budget for young children.
- Cooking Matters at the Store provides participants with hands-on education as they shop for food, giving them skills to compare foods for cost and nutrition.
If you are interested in the Cooking Matters program, please contact us at email@example.com.
Donate now to support the Cooking Matters program.
adult and youth participants in the 2019 fiscal year
of adults ate more vegetables as a result of Cooking Matters
of youth ate more fruit as a result of Cooking Matters
Find a Cooking Matters Program Near You
Cooking Matters for Kids at the Oliver Center for the Arts
June 16, 2023 11:00AM – 12:30PM Elizabeth Lane Oliver Center for the Arts, 132 Coast Guard Rd., Frankfort MI 49635
Cooking Matters works with local partners to help kids and families with healthy, affordable meals.
Cooking Matters for Families at The Farm July 2023
July 13, 2023 12:00AM – 1:56PM 2-4 pm The Farm at Trinity Health Ann Arbor 5557 McAuley Dr, Ypsilanti
Cooking Matters for Families engages adults and school-aged youth together to learn about healthy eating, planning meals as a family, and working together in the kitchen.
Cooking Matters for Teens at Armory Youth Project
August 14, 2023 10:30AM – 12:30PM Armory Youth Project, 555 1st Street, Manistee MI 49660
Cooking Matters for Teens teaches teens how to make healthy food choices, meals and snacks for themselves, their families, and friends.
Not seeing an upcoming class in your area? Contact us at your county MSU Extension office for more information about this program in your area.