Michigan 4-H State Awards: Getting started
State Awards recognize 4-H members for engaging in rich learning experiences resulting in outstanding knowledge and life skill development.
Michigan 4-H members are passionate about their 4-H projects. They engage in learning experiences to bolster their knowledge and skills ranging from 4-H club meetings and field trips to attending workshops, trainings and educational contests. Through 4-H projects, many members cultivate their future career aspirations and gain experience needed to be successful in their chosen field. Michigan 4-H members are twice as likely to pursue and be successful in post-secondary education pursuits according the Michigan State University Extension article, "4-h makes a difference in post-secondary education enrollment.”
The Michigan 4-H State Awards program is an experience for 4-H members to receive recognition for engaging in 4-H project experiences while preparing a portfolio that can be used in their current and future education and career pursuits. A 4-H State Award is the highest honor a 4-H member can earn. A State Award not only provides the member with an accolade to list on their resume, but also helps them compile information that could be used to prepare a future resume, cover letter and application.
So, how does a 4-H member earn this prestigious award? Michigan 4-H State Awards program is open to members 13-19 years old (4-H ages). The program includes three opportunities:
- Junior State Award: An individual award for members 13-15 with at least three years membership.
- Senior State Award: An individual award for members 16-19 with at least three years membership,
- Group Award: An award for groups with representative members 13-19.
There are 18 individual project area categories with a junior and senior award presented in each area. The individual State Award project categories are:
- Beef Science
- Biological Sciences
- Birds and Poultry Science
- Civic Engagement
- Communications and Expressive Arts
- Companion Animal Sciences
- Consumer and Family Science
- Dairy Cattle Science
- Environmental and Earth Sciences
- Equine Science
- Goat Science
- Healthy Lifestyles
- Leadership and Personal Development
- Plant Science
- Rabbits and Cavy Science
- Sheep Science
- Swine Science
- Technology and Engineering
To apply for a State Award, the member or group submits an application that includes a cover letter, completed application questions and a 4-H story. To get started, members can download a copy of the directions and applications for Michigan 4-H State Awards at: Michigan 4 H Awards and Recognition Program webpage. All State Awards applications must be submitted by Feb. 1 to State4HAwards@anr.msu.edu.
Look for additional MSU Extension articles that provide tips for completing a Michigan 4-H State Awards application, including:
- Michigan 4-H State Awards: Writing your cover letter
- Michigan 4-H State Awards: Writing your 4-H story
- Michigan 4-H State Awards: The application questions