Andrey Guber, Ph.D.
Current Research Interests:
Our research focus on spatial soil heterogeneity at scales from soil cores to landscapes, and its effects on water, chemical and microbial transport. We develop and introduce new method (including software) to quantify spatial distribution of enzyme activity on soil surface (Time-Lapse-Zymography), spatial distribution of water, dissolved chemicals, and OC in soil pores (Dual-energy X-ray CT) at a micro scale. At large scale we focus on overland transport of pathogens (STWIR model) and their potential transmission between wildlife and livestock (SWAT-SIR model).
General Areas of Expertise:
Soil pore structure; soil zymography; multiscale modeling water, chemical and microbial transport.
- Guber, A.K, E. Blagodatskaya, A. Juyak, B.S. Rasavi, Y. Kuzyakov, and A.N. Kravchenko. 2021. Time-lapse approach to correct deficiencies of 2D soil zymography. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 157, 108225.
- Kravchenko, A.N., H. Zheng, Y. Kuzyakov, G.P. Robertson, A.K. Guber. 2021. Belowground interplant carbon transfer promotes soil carbon gains in diverse plant communities. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 159, 1082.
- Guber, A., T. Kutlu, M. Rivers, A. Kravchenko. 2020. Mass-balance approach to quantify water distribution in soils based on X-ray computed tomography images. European Journal of Soil Science.
- Kravchenko, A., A. Guber, A. Gunina, M. Dippold, Ya, Kuzyakov. 2020. Pore-scale view of microbial turnover: Combining 14C imaging, mCT and zymography after adding soluble carbon to soil pores of specific sizes. European Journal of Soil Science.
- Zheng, H., Kim, K., Kravchenko, A., Rivers, M., Guber, A. 2020. Testing Os staining approach for visualizing soil organic matter patterns in intact samples via X-ray dual-Energy tomography scanning. Environmental Science & Technology 2020 54 (14), 8980-8989.
- Kravchenko, A.N.. A.K. Guber, B. S. Rasavi, J. Koestel, M.Y. Quigley, G. P. Robertson, and Y. Kuzyakov. 2019. Microbial spatial footprint as a driver of soil carbon stabilization. Nature Communications.
- Kravchenko, A.N., A.K. Guber, B.S.Razavi, J.Koestel, E.V. Blagodatskaya, Y.Kuzyakov. 2019. Spatial patterns of extracellular enzymes: combining X-ray computed micro-tomography and 2D zymography. Soil Biol. Biochem., 135: 411-419.
- Guber A., Kravchenko A., Razavi B., Uteau D., Peth S., Blagodatskaya E., Kuzyakov Y. 2018. Quantitative soil zymography: Mechanisms, processes of substrate and enzyme diffusion in porous media. Soil Biol. Biochem., 127: 156-167.