Kurt Steinke, Ph.D.
Overview of current program:
Teaching, research, and extension; Research interests include improving the ecological efficiency and refining nutrient management strategies for a broad array of production agricultural systems, evaluating the environmental impacts of managed ecosystems, managing phosphorus-enriched stormwater runoff, environmental stress physiology and management, and drought and water management.
- CSS480, Soil Fertility and Nutrient Management
- Correndo, A., J. Rotundo, N. Tremblay, S. Archontoulis, J. Coulter, D. Ruiz-Diaz, D. Franzen, A. Franzluebbers, E. Nafziger, R. Schwalbert, K. Steinke, J. Williams, C. Messina, and I. Ciamapitti. 2021. Assessing the uncertainty of maize yield without nitrogen fertilization. Field Crops Res. J. Vol. 260. 11 pp. doi: 10.1016/j.fcr.2020.107985.
- Purucker, T., and K. Steinke. 2020. Comparing nitrogen timing and sidedress placement strategies on corn growth and yield in Michigan. Crop, Forage, and Turfgrass Mgmt. Vol.6. 13pp. doi: 10.1002/cft2.20033.
- Purucker, T., and K. Steinke. 2020. Soybean seeding rate and fertilizer effects on growth, partitioning, and yield. Agron. J. 112: 2288-2301. doi:10.1002/agj2.20208.
- Quinn, D., and K. Steinke. 2019. Comparing high and low input management on soybean yield and profitability in Michigan. Crop, Forage, and Turfgrass Mgmt. Vol.5. doi:10.2134/cftm2019.04.0029.
- Rutan, J., and K. Steinke. 2019. Corn nitrogen management following daikon radish and forage oat cover crops. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 83:181-189. doi:10.2136/sssaj2018.07.0269.
- Quinn, D., and K. Steinke. 2019. Soft red and white winter wheat response to input-intensive management. Agron. J. 111:428-439. doi:10.2134/agronj2018.06.0368.
- Rutan, J., and K. Steinke. 2018. Pre-plant and in-season nitrogen combinations for the Northern Corn Belt. Agron J. 110:2059-2069. doi:10.2134/agronj2018.03.0153.
- Rutan, J., and K. Steinke. 2017. Determining corn nitrogen rates using multiple prediction models. J. Crop Improv. 31(6):780-800.
- Steinke, K. and C. Bauer. 2017. Enhanced efficiency fertilizer effects in Michigan sugarbeet production. J. of Sugarbeet Res. 54:2-19.
- Swoish, M., and K. Steinke. 2017. Plant growth regulator and nitrogen applications for improving wheat production in Michigan. Crop, Forage, and Turfgrass Mgmt. Vol. 3. doi:10.2134/cftm2016.06.0049.
- Lindsey, A., K. Steinke, J. Rutan, and P. Thomison. 2016. Relationship of DGCI and SPAD values to corn grain yield in the Eastern Corn Belt. Crop, Forage, and Turfgrass Mgmt. Vol. 2. doi: 10.2134/cftm2015.0184.
- Steinke, K., J. Rutan, and L. Thurgood. 2015. Corn response to nitrogen at multiple sulfur rates. Agron. J. 107:1347-1354.
- Wilkerson, G., G. Buol, Z. Yang, C. Peacock, M. McCready, K. Steinke, and D. Chalmers. 2015. Modeling response of warm-season turfgrass to drought and irrigation. Agron. J. 107:515-523.
- Spangler, A., C. Sprague, and K. Steinke. 2014. Impact of nitrogen and weeds on glyphosate-resistant sugarbeet yield and quality. Weed Tech. 28:189-199.
- Lindsey, L., K. Steinke, D. Warncke, and W. Everman. 2013. Nitrogen release from weed residue. Weed Sci. 61:334-340.
- Lindsey, L., D. Warncke, K. Steinke, and W. Everman. 2013. Fertilizer and population affects nitrogen assimilation of common lambsquarters (Chenopodium album) and redroot pigweed (Amaranthus retroflexus). Weed Sci. 61:131-135.
- Steinke, K., W. R. Kussow, and J.C. Stier. 2013. Potential contributions of mature prairie and turfgrass to phosphorus in urban runoff. J. Environ. Qual. 42:1176-1184.
- Steinke, K., D. Chalmers, J. Thomas, R. White, C. Fontanier, and B. Wherley. 2013. Lateral spread of three warm-season turfgrass species as affected by prior summer water stress at two root zone depths. HortSci. 48(6):790-795.
- Steinke, K., and E. Ervin. 2013. Turfgrass Ecology. p.347-382. In J.C. Stier, S. Bonos, and B. Horgan (eds.) Turfgrass: Biology, Use, and Management. Agronomy Monograph 56. ASA, SSSA, CSSA, Inc. Madison, WI.
- Stier, J.C., K. Steinke, E. Ervin, F.R. Higginson, and P.E. McMaugh. 2013. Turfgrass Benefits and Issues. p. 105-146. In J.C. Stier, S. Bonos, and B. Horgan (eds.) Turfgrass: Biology, Use, and Management. Agronomy Monograph 56. ASA, SSSA, CSSA, Inc. Madison, WI.
- Fontanier, C., K. Steinke, J. Thomas, and R. White. 2011. Effects of venting aeration on neglected bermudagrass putting greens. Online. Applied Turfgrass Science doi:10.1094/ATS-2011-1201-01-RS.
- Pannkuk T., J.A. Peterson, K. Steinke, J. Thomas, D. Chalmers, and R. White. 2011. Carbon, nitrogen, and orthophosphate leaching from soil under single- and mixed-species landscapes. HortSci 46:1533-1539.
To apply or not to apply potassium fertilizer in 2022, that is the question
Published on April 7, 2022
MSU research team receives $750K USDA grant to explore ways to mitigate crop uptake of PFAS
Published on December 13, 2021
Michigan State University to host dry bean and sugarbeet field day
Published on July 28, 2021
Phosphorus and potassium fertilizer recommendations for high-yielding, profitable soybeans
Published on March 12, 2021
Michigan State University hosts dry bean and sugar beet virtual field day
Published on August 4, 2020
Managing Nitrogen Loss from Flooding
Published on June 11, 2020
Preparing winter wheat in the autumn for greater yield next summer
Published on September 19, 2019
Early-Season Soil Fertility
Published on May 9, 2019
Targeting corn nitrogen strategies for improved resilience
Published on May 9, 2019