John N. Trey Rogers III, Ph.D.
Overview of Current Program:
Research focus on turfgrass establishment for golf course construction and renovation
- CSS 232 Turfgrass Management
- CSS 262 Turfgrass Seminar
- CSS 267 Performance Turf Design and Construction
- CSS 269 Turfgrass Strategies
- John Stier, Assoc. Dean, University of Tennessee
- John Sorochan, Assoc. Professor, University of Tennessee
- Jason Henderson, Assoc. Professor, University of Connecticut
- Alec Kowalewski, Asst. Professor, Oregon State University
- Tim Van Loo - Head of Athletic Grounds, Iowa State University
- Tim Vanini - President, New Dimensions Turfgrass, Buffalo, NY
- Bearss, R.C., J.N. Rogers, III, and J.R. Crum. 2020. Cultivation, cultivar and topdressing moisture effects on settling of topdressing sand. Crop, Forage and Turfgrass Management. DOI: 10.1002/cft2.20027
- Thoms, A.W., R. Bearss, J.N. Rogers, and J.C. Sorochan. 2020. An evaluation of Hybrid Turf Systems. Agron. J.
- Green, T.O., J.N. Rogers, III, J. R. Crum, J.M. Vargas, Jr., and T.A. Nikolai. 2019. Effects of Rolling and Topdressing on Dollar Spot Severity in Fairway Turfgrass. HortTechnology. doi.org/10.21273/HORTTECH04272-19
- Green, T.O., Kravchenko, A., J.N. Rogers, III, and J.M. Vargas, Jr. 2019. Annual bluegrass: Emergence of Viable Seed in Various Putting Green Sites and Soil Removal Depths. HortTechnology. doi.org/10.21273/HORTTECH04345-19
- Bravo, J. S., Green, T. O., Crum, J. R., Rogers, J. N., Kravchenko, S., & Silcox, C. A. 2018. Evaluating the Efficacy of Dazomet for the Control of Annual Bluegrass Seed Germination in Renovated Turf Surfaces, HortTechnology. 28(1), 44-47.
- Green, T.O., E.C. Chestnut, J.R. Crum, and J.N. Rogers, III. 2018. Effects of creeping bentgrass seeding rates and traffic on putting green establishment. Golf Course Management. Jan. 86(1): 100-104.
- J.N. Rogers, III. and J.R. Crum 2017. MSU/USGA Varied Depth approach. USGA White Paper Draft. Download.
- Li, D, J.J. Henderson, J.T. Vanini, and J.N. Rogers, III. 2013. Research Tools and Technologies for Turfgrass Establishment. In J.C. Stier et al., editors, Turfgrass: Biology, Use and Management. Agron. Monogr. 56. ASA, CSSA, SSSA, Madison, WI, 1189-1129.
- Green, T. O., Dunne, J. C., and Rogers, J. N., III. 2012. A Clarification of seashore paspalum vernation description. Online. Applied Turfgrass Science doi:10.1094/ATS-2012-0419-01-BR.
- Kowalewski, A. R., Dunne, J. C., Rogers, J. N., III, and Crum, J. R. 2011. Heavy sand and crumb rubber topdressing improves Kentucky bluegrass wear tolerance. Online. Applied Turfgrass Science doi:10.1094/ATS-2011- 1223-01-RS.
- Kowalewski, A.R, J.R. Crum, J. N. Rogers, III, and J.C. Dunne. 2011 Improving Native Soil Athletic Fields With Intercept Drain Tile Installation and Subsequent Sand Topdressing Applications. Soil Science. 176(3):1-7
- Kowalewski, A.R., J.N. Rogers III, J.R. Crum, and J.C. Dunne. 2010. Sand Topdressing Applications Improve Shear Strength and Turfgrass Density on Trafficked Athletic Fields. HortTechnology. 20(5):865-872.
- Kowalewski, A. R., Calhoun, R. N., Hathaway, A. D., and Rogers, J. N. III. 2010. Using cultural practices and leaf mulch to control weeds in established turfgrass. [Online]. Applied Turfgrass Science doi:10.1094/ATS- 2010-0416-01-RS.
- Garrison M.A., Stier J, Rogers J, Kowalewski A. 2009. Cool-Season Turfgrass Survival on Two Former Golf Courses in Michigan. Invasive Plant Science and Management. 2:396-403.
- Henderson, J.J., J.N. Rogers, III, and J.R.Crum. 2009. The Effects of Natural and Artificial Root zone Inclusions on the Playing Surface Characteristics of Trafficked Kentucky Bluegrass. International Turfgrass Research Society Journal. 11:1107-1129.
- Kowalewski, A.R., D. D. Buhler, N. S. Lang, M. G. Nair, and J. N. Rogers, III. 2009. Mulched Maple and Oak Leaves Associated with a Reduction in Common Dandelion Populations in Established Kentucky Bluegrass. HortTechnology 19: 297-304 Download .
- Kowalewski A.R., Rogers J.N., Effects of ball mark repair tools on an annual bluegrass green. Golf Course Management, Sept. 2008, 95-98. Download.
- Kowalewski A.R., Rogers J.N., Dunne J and VanLoo, T.D. Effects of hollow-tine diameter and topdressing incorporation implements on sand topdressing integration. Golf Course Management, Sept. 2008, 95-98. Download.
- Kowalewski A.R., Rogers J.N. and Crum J.R. 2008. Sand Cap and Build-Up Systems for Michigan High School Fields, Michigan State University Extension. Extenson Bulletin, With Frequently Asked Questions.
- Kowalewski, A. R., J. N. III Rogers, and T. D. VanLoo. 2008. Pre-harvest core cultivation of sod provides alternative cultivation timing. [Online] Appl. Turfgrass Sci. p. [1-9].
- Vanini, J. T., and Rogers, J. N., III. 2008. Mowing strategies and fertilization improves sports fields during and after 70-day re-establishment window. Online. Applied Turfgrass Science doi:10.1094/ATS-2008-0218-01-RS.
- Vanini, J.T., J.J. Henderson, J.C. Sorochan, and J.N. Rogers, III. 2007. Evaluating Traffic Stress by the Brinkman
- Traffic Simulator and Cady Traffic Simulator on a Kentucky Bluegrass Stand. Crop Sci. 47(2): p.780-784.
- Sorochan, J.C., J.N. Rogers, III., J.C. Stier, and D.E. Karcher. 2005. Determination of Nitrogen Fertilization for Poa supina Schrad. Grown on a Native Soil Athletic Field. International Turfgrass Research Society Journal 10(1):441-445.
- Sorochan, J.C., J.N. Rogers, III., J.C. Stier, and D.E. Karcher. 2005. Determination of Optimal Mowing Height for Poa supina Schrad. under Traffic Conditions. International Turfgrass Research Society Journal, 10(1):436-440
- Henderson, J.J., J.L. Lanovaz, J.N. Rogers, III., J.C. Sorochan, and J.T. Vanini. 2005. A New Apparatus to Simulate Athletic Field Traffic: The Cady Traffic Simulator. Agron. J. 97:1153-1157.
- Calhoun, R., Sorochan, L., Sorochan, J., Rogers, J.N. and Crum, J. 2002. Optimizing Cultural Practices to Improve Athletic Field Performance. Michigan State University Extension Bulletin E18TURF
Highlights from Turfgrass Field Day 2023
Published on July 28, 2023
MSU turf students expand skills through spring internships
Published on April 20, 2021
MSU alum connects current students with PGA Tour golf course preparation experience
Published on August 22, 2019
Turf triumphs: From Friday nights under the lights to World Cup, MSU research plays vital role
Published on July 25, 2015