- Our team is at PACK EXPO 2023. Sarla and Rishabh presented our research about paper coatings.
MSU research shows sodium chloride offers a safe, inexpensive and reusable pathway to recovering useful products from plastic waste. Here are the links to the news posts.
MSU Today: Read here
WLNS 6 News: Read here
With over 40 patents, a Michigan State University associate professor in the School of Packaging is working with his students to pioneer a path to zero waste.
- Subhaprad, Vikash and Saleh presented poster at the National Graduate Research Polymer Conference 2023 held at University of Michigan on June 30th
For creating potentially world-changing technologies, Muhammad Rabnawaz became a senior member of the National Academy of Inventors on June 26. Having tried and failed with dozens of ideas, the Michigan State University associate professor and faculty laureate has successfully developed energy-efficient ways of recycling type-1 and type-2 plastics.
Here is the link to the news posts:Newswise: Muhammad Rabnawaz to be inducted into National Academy of Inventors
- Congratulations Samin, Vikash and Subhaprad for successfuly passing their oral examination.
- Our work was highlighted and presented at MSU Innovation Celebration. Thanks to all the amazing team members.
- Congratulations Dr. Shamila and Dr. Ajmir for presenting in Office for International Students and Scholars to the public about our research. Dr. Ajmir Khan presented his work entitled “Chemical and mechanical solutions for plastics recycling, upcycling & redesigning” in the annual Scholar Showcase organized by the Office for International Students and Scholars at Michigan State University.
- Dr. Muhammad Rabnawaz and his group members at the annual showcase organized by the OISS at Michigan State University.
- Congratulations Tanya for an oral presentation at Remade Cirular Economy Conference.
- Congratulations Mohamed Abdelwahab, Naveed, Shamila and Ajmir for presenting in ACS SPRING 2023: Crossroads of Chemistry held at Indianapolis from March 26-30. Dr. Ajmir Khan presented a SciMix-Poster at ACS Spring 2023 Indiana on “sample approach for the reprocessing of cross‐linked and mixed polyurethanes”
September 8, 2022
- Congratulations Saleh for successfully completing the comprehensive exam.
September 6, 2022
- Congratulations Ajmir for the article on Efficient chemical recycling of waste polyethylene terephthalate. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2022.106639
August 21-25, 2022
- Congratulations Samin, Vikash and Ajmir for presenting posters at ACS FALL 2022: Sustainability in a Changing World held at Chicago, IL.
July 09, 2022
- I’m excited to share that I’m promoted to Associate Professor with tenure. It became possible because of the team's (and our past students') incredible efforts. Keep the great work going... Go Green!
June 01, 2022
- Vikash Kumar has been awarded 3rd prize for poster presentation on Efficient Depolymerization of Polystyrene with Table Salt and Oxidized Copper during 3rd Annual Dow MSU Graduate Student Professional Development Symposium.
April 28, 2022
- Congratulations Vikash for the article on Efficient Depolymerization of Polystyrene with Table Salt and Oxidized Copper. https://doi.org/10.1021/acssuschemeng.1c08400
June 10, 2021
- Congratulations Ajmir for the article on Melt-reprocessing of mixed polyurethane thermosets. https://doi.org/10.1039/D1GC01232K
May 6, 2021
- Congratulations Naveed for the article on Are telechelic polysiloxanes better than hemi-telechelic for self-cleaning applications? https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2021.05.007
March 10, 2021
- Congratulations Dhwani for the article on Green analogs of polybutadienes from carbon dioxide and epoxy‐based feedstocks. https://doi.org/10.1002/app.50708
January 18, 2021
- Congratulations Aditya for the article on Oil- and water-resistant paper substrate using blends of chitosan-graft-polydimethylsiloxane and poly(vinyl alcohol). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.50494
January 1, 2021
- Happy New Year: Let's welcome this year with new zeal and welcome Samin, Saleh, Subhaprad and Vikash to Sustainable Materials Group as our new Graduate Students. Welcome abroad and wish you all a bright career ahead.
December 18, 2020
Congratulations Ajmir for the article on A comparative study of thallium(iii) and iodine(iii)-mediated ring contraction reactions for the synthesis of indane.
September 16, 2020
- Congratulations Shamila for the article on Zein and PVOH-Based Bilayer Approach for Plastic-Free, Repulpable and Biodegradable Oil- and Water-Resistant Paper as a Replacement for Single-Use Plastics.
September 5, 2020
- Congratulations Ajmir for the article on Covalent Adaptable Network and Self-Healing Materials: Current Trends and Future Prospects in Sustainability.
August 13 2020
- Congratulations Dhwani for the article on Fabrication of oil- and water-resistant paper without creating microplastics on disposal.
June 17, 2020
- Congratulations Dhwani for the article on Starch and Zein Biopolymers as a Sustainable Replacement for PFAS, Silicone Oil, and Plastic-Coated Paper.
May 25, 2020
- Congratulations Ajmir for the article on Self-healing and self-cleaning clear coating.
April 29, 2020
- Congratulations Ajmir for the article on High modulus, fluorine-free self-healing anti-smudge coatings.
April 13, 2020
- Congratulations Dhwani for the article on Food-Safe Chitosan-Zein Dual-Layer Coating for Water- and Oil- Repellent Paper Substrates.
March 28, 2020
- Our team received MTRAC AgBio Award ($25,000)
March 13, 2020
- Zhao Li successfully defended her Ph.D. dissertation on Fabrication of Water and Oil/Grease-Resistant Paper Coating for Packaging Application. Congratulations Dr. Zhao Li.
February 18, 2020
- Congratulations Shamila for the work on Chitosan–Graft–Poly(dimethylsiloxane)/Zein Coatings for the Fabrication of Environmentally Friendly Oil- and Water-Resistant Paper.
- Our team develops coatings with self-healing and self-cleaning abilities. The article is published in Paint & Coating Industry (PCI) Magazine.
- Zhao Li completed 6-month co-op (Jun.-Dec. 2019) as a packaging engineer in Biogen Inc., Cambridge, MA.
- Sustainable Materials Group has been awarded a grant of $24,847 from US Environmental Protection Agency to develop A planet-friendly and scalable approach towards 100% recyclable water- and oil-resistant paper.
- Sustainable Materials Group has been awarded a grant of $38,000 by Advanced Grant Proof of Concept Fund/MSU for developing Food safe water- and oil-repellent paper substrates for food packaging.
- Dr. Rabnawaz has been nominated again for the prestigious Moore Inventor Fellowship by MSU.
- A demo of our latest coating technology:
- Dr. Rabnawaz has been nominated for the prestigious Moore Inventor Fellowship by Michigan State University
- Our Team has been awarded a TSGTD grant of $100,000.
- Dr. Rabnawaz and Dr. Aliakbarian have been awarded a TSGTD grant of $51,800.
- Congratulations Vijay Pandian for completing his Master's Thesis Defense!
- This month we welcomed two new postdoctoral students, Ajmir Khan and Kun Huang, to our research group.
- Visiting students from the AIMS program learned about our research work and applied chemistry in the making of the Edible Water Bottle.
June 3-5, 2018
- Zhao presented her research at MSU's Inverse Problems Symposium.
- Congratulations Dr. Rabnawaz (Packaging) and Dr. Blanchard (Chemistry) for receiving a TSGTD grant of $100,000.
- Congratulations to Dr. Rabnawaz's group for receiving $68,000 in M-TRAC funding.
- Dr. Rabnawaz was featured in MSU's Innovation Celebration for his technology and patents on self-cleaning coatings.
- Spherification demo was presented to students from King's High School who visited MSU on 04/17/018
- Our group welcomes a new PhD student Zhao Li.
- Dr. Rabnawaz's article, "Encapsulation of catalyst in block copolymer micelles for the polymerization of ethylene in aqueous medium," has been published in Nature Communications. Follow this link for the article: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-03253-5
- Krystal and Nazim present a demo on spherification at Girls' Math and Science Day, hosted by the MSU chapter of Graduate Women in Science (GWIS)
Dr. Rabnawaz group has been awarded MTRAC Tier II Award for the development of high barrier plastics.
A warm welcome to our newest research group members- Doctoral student Burhan and Postdoctoral researcher Nazim.
Dr. Rabnawaz group has been awarded Targeted Support Grant for Technology Development (TSGTD).
A postdoctoral research associate position is available in the School of Packaging at Michigan State University in the research group of Professor Muhammad Rabnawaz. The research position will be focused on the development of functional polymer coatings with emphasis on epoxy and polyurethane coatings. This position will also involve the development of spray, cast and dip coating methodologies for the epoxy and polyurethane coatings. Also, the candidate is expected to conduct properties (mechanical, adhesion, abrasion, and surface tensions) assessments for these coatings. The position will begin January 1, 2018.
- Students visited from Reeths-Puffer School. We did polyurethane based experiments to show the school kids how important and significant science is and how packaging plays a major role in our environment.
- A new Master's student has joined our research group. Welcome aboard Krystal.
Dr. Rabnawaz’s interview with FOODLINE RADIO related to “The current and future in plastic packaging" Please click the link to listen to the radio interview http://www.coopradio.org/content/foodline. (10/16/2017).
- We have filed our 6th invention disclosure in 2017.