Rwanda coffee stakeholder priorities and opportunities to improve farmer investmentDOWNLOAD
March 10, 2020 - Author: Andrew Gerard and Jared Pauli
Andrew Gerard and Jared Pauli, 2020.Rwanda coffee stakeholder priorities and opportunities to improve farmer investment?, FSP Research Brief 115, East Lansing: Michigan State University.
- Rwanda coffee stakeholders prioritized topchallenges in sector between 2015 and 2018.
- They identified changes that took place 2015- 2018 and suggested steps needed to boost farmer investment
- Stakeholders ranked improving knowledge of potato taste defect and increasing farmer incomes as some of the most important challenges
- Challenges related to pesticide and fertilizer became less important as progress occurred in
distribution and research
- The top change stakeholders observed between 2015-2018 was improvement in farmer extension
and service provision
- To increase farmer investment, stakeholders suggested (1) increasing coffee cherry prices; (2)
building capacity for farmers/ value chain actors; (3) improving access to inputs/ equipment