Office Services

Educational Bulletins & Publications

Extension Educational bulletins / publications are sold in the Washtenaw office, however, best to call ahead for availability of bulletin you are looking for. You can also research and order bulletins at MSUE Bookstore Publications

Home, Lawn and Garden

Toll Free Lawn and Garden Hotline: 1-888-678-3464 (1-888-MSUE-4MI) staffed Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9:00am-12:00pm
Or fill out an online request by visiting MSU Ask an Expert Website. Staffed by MSU Extension Consumer Horticulture Educators and Master Gardener volunteers.

Master Gardener information for Washtenaw County please contact via the information below:

Email Contact:
Facebook page: (closed group: must request to join)

Plant and Pest Diagnostic services: $7.00 fee. Please bring in any plant or pest in a container or bag from a home garden on a Monday or Tuesday to make sure the sample is seen by one of our Master Gardener Volunteers quickly.

Home/Residential Soil Mailers:

You can purchase in person at Washtenaw County MSU Extension Office for $25 plus tax (this includes postage to lab) or order online from the MSU Bookstore 

Commercial Farm Soil Mailers:

Soil boxes for sample collection CANNOT be ordered on-line but can be purchased at the office $17 plus tax (This does not include postage to lab).  You’ll receive a Soil Sample Information form to complete and send with your samples to the lab. To understand your soil test results online at the MSU Soil or contact our office.

Pesticide Applicator Program;  Certification, Training, Exams & Manuals

Certification and Training

To schedule exam or for questions contact Michigan Department of Ag (MDA) at 1-800-292-3939.

Pressure Cooker Caner Gauge Testing

Testing has no charge but testing is by appointment only. 

Common FAQs about Caner Testing:

  1. How can I get my pressure gauge tested?
    1. Contact the office or email the local Food Safety Educator, Mary Donaldson at to schedule an appointment.
  2. I have a weighted gauge, do I need to get it tested?
    1. No. The weighted gauge does not need testing.
  3. How often should I get my gauge tested?
    1. The manufacturer recommends once a year.
  4. Can I get my gauge calibrated?
    1. Yes, you will have to send it to the manufacturer for calibration.

Food Safety Education

Have any questions about food safety? Contact the Food Safety hotline: 1-877-643-9882 Monday-Friday from 9:00am-5:00pm.

Please see links below for Food Safety Educational classes and information:


Cooking for Crowds

Cottage Food Law

Home Food Preservation

Michigan Fresh

Safe Food  = Healthy Kids

Nutritional Information

More details coming soon

Children, Family Caregiver Education

Building Our Strengths as Parents and Caregivers

MSU Extension offers free virtual and in-person classes for parents, caregivers, and early childhood professionals. Topics include child development and learning, guidance and discipline, and co-parenting.  Certificates and MIRegistry credit are available.  For more information contact Courtney Aldrich,

For more information/registration: Events - Parenting Education Classes (

Citizen Planner

The MSU Extension Citizen Planner Program offers land use education for locally appointed and elected planning officials and interested residents throughout Michigan. This non-credit course leads to a certificate of completion awarded by MSU Extension. Advanced training through the Master Citizen Planner (MCP) credential is also available. Please reach out if you have any questions to the Citizen Planner Educator: Harmony Fierke-Gmazel

Facebook: MSU Extension Citizen Planner | East Lansing MI | Facebook

MSU Extension Product Consulting & Service Center

The Product Center offers personalized business coaching and access to the expertise of faculty and specialists at Michigan State University in the areas of nutrition facts labeling, process authority, food safety, packaging, marketing and branding, product development, access to retailers, market analysis, economic feasibility assessment, economic impact evaluation, and strategic planning. There is a one time $50 fee to access these services. Submit your Request for Counseling to us online. Feel free to contact Katje Armentrout for any questions.

For More Information: Product Center (