Seeds of Science
At the heart of Seeds of Science are curiosity and wonder. Everything that happens before, during and after the field trip to the 4-H Children's Gardens in designed to come from curiosity and wonder. It is our firm belief that if we can generate and encourage curiosity and wonder in our visitors, the specific content knowledge will follow. Students that are curious and wonder about the activities they are engaged in will meet and exceed our expectations. They will make connections that we have not thought about and they will connect science to their daily lives in meaningful ways. Basically, they will be scientists
Each Seeds of Science program is customized to meet the specific needs of each teacher and class!
Seeds of Science uses these components to engage students in learning.
- Everything starts with questions and then students are encouraged to explore to find answers
- Extended time in the garden. Seeds of Science visits last all day and there are usually three visits.
- Students do "authentic experiments" - experiments that are the same as, or very closely modeled after, the experiments that scientists at Michigan State University are doing.
- Elegant technology integration. We use a variety of technologies to enhance and expand the hands-on experiences in the garden.
This is a shift in how many have experienced science and in our understanding of what science is. Science arises from student interests and questions, science is important to their daily lives, science is interesting and fun and students can connect directly to university scientists. Science becomes practice Ð doing and learning together.
Results of Seeds of Science will be many and measurable. We have seen these things happen every time a class experiences Seeds of Science.
Some changes are:
- Students will have a more positive attitude about science.
- Students will see how science connects to their daily lives.
- Students will increase their specific science content knowledge.
- Students will be able to take their science knowledge and understanding to address related real world problems.
- Students will be able to analyze and interpret scientific data.
- A greater percentage of students will see themselves as scientists and as able to do science.
- Plant Parts
- Plant Life Cycle
- Science Process Model
- Best Lettuce Experiment
- Tree Tour
- Plant Parts for Growth
- Plant Parts for Reproduction
- How do plants respond to changes in the seasons?
- How do plants protect themselves?