Online Home Food Preservation
It is important for individuals to stay up to date on the latest research for home food preservation, recipes and processing times, as they are constantly under review and updated. Michigan State University Extension’s Online Home Food Preservation course is a self-paced program that instructs up to date science-based recommended methods for safe home food preservation, regardless of a person’s experience with preserving foods.
Online Home Food Preservation course will help home food preservers avoid dangerous, life-threatening contamination of foods. Individuals will feel confident in processing their produce and feeding their families safe, healthy foods. Home food preservation stimulates the local economy by encouraging locally grown and purchased foods and for individuals and families to grow their own gardens.
The course includes a variety of preservation methods and skills from drying foods using a dehydrator, to freezing and blanching which requires little time or equipment, to a more advanced pressure canning. Each of the seven segments discusses the equipment and tools needed to safely processing foods.
For any questions about this course please contact Joyce McGarry at email@example.com.
Lesson topics Include:
- Preservation – the Basics
- Jams and Jellies
- Preserving High-acid Foods
- Preserving Low-acid Foods
- Blanching and Freezing
To register for this course you will need to create an account, sign in with your email/password, and complete the registration process. To watch a video tutorial, demonstrating an overview of the registration process, click on the following link: Online Course Registration Video Tutorial. Step-by-step instructions are below.
- Create your MSU Guest Account/Community ID and Password: Create Your Account.
- Login to the registration system with your Community ID and Password: Food Preservation Online
- Follow the instructions to register for the course. Upon registration, you will receive a receipt and instructions for accessing the course.
LOGGING INTO THE ONLINE COURSE
Once you have registered, follow the instructions below to login – you will use the same login credentials that you set during registration (your NetID is your email address used during registration and use the same password set during registration).
- Go to the Michigan State University’s Online Course System (known as Desire2Learn or D2L): https://d2l.msu.edu/.
- Click on the Login button. In the MSU NETID field enter your email address (enter the same email used during registration).
- Enter the password you set during registration.
- You will be logged into D2L - click on the View All Courses link and you will see the Food Preservation title.
*Note: If you need to reset your password go to: https://community.idm.msu.edu/ and select the option for Forgot Password.
If you need technical assistance please contact the Michigan State University Help Desk. They are available 24/7 at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-500-1554. Tell them you are logging into an MSU Extension online course with an MSU Community ID.
- What is my username/NETID?
Your username (or NET ID) is the email address you used to create your account during registration (you use the same email address/password for registering and for taking the course).
- What URL do I go to for logging into the course?
Go to: https://d2l.msu.edu/. You will see the Michigan State University at the top of the page.
- I received a “not authenticated” response when trying to login – what do I do?
A “not authenticated” message is typically an issue with a password not being entered correctly. To reset your password at any time go to: https://community.idm.msu.edu/ and select the option for Forgot Password. You will receive an email from a sender called “Community ID” with a link to reset your password.
- I forgot my password – where can I reset it?
To reset your password at any time go to: https://community.idm.msu.edu/ and select the option for Forgot Password. You will receive an email from a sender called “Community ID” with a link to reset your password.
- Who can I call for technical support?
The Michigan State University Help Desk. They are available 24/7 at email@example.com or 1-800-500-1554. Tell them you are logging into an MSU Extension online course with an MSU Community ID.
Have a question about food safety?
Ask an Expert is a site where you can get expert answers and help from Cooperative Extension/University staff and volunteers from across Michigan and the United States.