MSU Extension assists farmers, businesses, industries, families and individuals improve lives and achieve their goals through an educational process that applies management, production and economic knowledge to critical issues..
Resilient Farms: Financial and Management Guides
Published on February 5, 2020
A bulletin by MSU Extension's Beginning Farmer DEMaND Series focusing on the use of enterprise budgets to help beginning farmers obtain a firm grasp on revenues, expenses, and profitability.
Published on July 31, 2019
A bulletin by MSU Extension's Beginning Farmer DEMaND Series with suggestions to help beginning farmer understand the lending process in order to obtain farm financing.
Published on November 28, 2018
Understanding your farm’s financial health is the key to successfully meeting your farm goals. Michigan State University (MSU) Extension farm management educators want to help you understand this key concept.
Additional Helpful Resources
The following resources can help you better understand typical business and financial decisions for your farm.
- AgPlan, (Center for Farm Financial Management, Univ. MN)
- Farm Financial Score Card, (Center for Farm Financial Management, Univ. MN)
- Generate a Summary or Benchmark Report, (Center for Farm Financial Management, Univ. MN)
- Michigan Business Analysis Summaries and Reports, (Michigan State University and Telfarm)
- Farm Financial Performance Measures, (Iowa State University)
- Financial Guidelines for Agricultural Producers, (Farm Financial Standards Council
- Dairy Cashflow Plan, (Roger Betz, MSU)
- Dairy Cost of Production - Schedule F (Dennis Stein, MSU)
- Farm Risk Management Plans (USDA, RMA)
- Partial Budgeting Spreadsheet (Roger Betz, MSU)
- Pricing Corn Silage and Earlage from Immature Corn, (Black, Rust, Stein Aug. 2013, MSU Extension)