Pest and crop management update for field crop producers and agronomists
The latest research results and recommendations for managing field crops will be presented at five educational programs in 2017.
Five Pest and Crop Management Update Meetings for field crop producers and agronomists will be conducted this winter. The programs are sponsored by Michigan State University Extension, Michigan Soybean Promotion Committee, Corn Marketing Program of Michigan and Michigan Wheat Program. All programs will begin at 8:30 a.m. and end at 3:30 p.m. except for the Dundee, Michigan, location, which will start at 9 a.m. and end at 4 p.m. The dates and locations for the updates are listed below:
- Jan. 12, Comfort Inn and Suites Hotel and Conference Center, 2424 S. Mission St, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858. Contact Isabella County MSU Extension at 989-317-4079.
- Jan. 13, Saginaw Valley Research and Extension Center, 3775 S. Reese Rd, Frankenmuth, MI 48734. Contact Lapeer County MSU Extension at 810-667-0341.
- Feb. 21, Cabela’s, 110 Cabelas Blvd E, Dundee, MI 48131. Contact Van Buren County MSU Extension at 269-657-8213.
- Feb. 22, Dowagiac Conservation Club, 54551 M-51 N, Dowagiac, MI 49047. Contact Van Buren County MSU Extension at 269-657-8213.
- Feb. 23, Sanilac Career Center, 175 E. Aitken Rd, Peck, MI 48466. Contact Sanilac County MSU Extension at 810-648-2515.
The agenda will include timely and relevant pest and crop management information presented by MSU Extension specialists and educators. The detailed agenda is provided below:
- Commodity Group Updates
- Resurgence of Western Bean Cutworm, Cry 1F for WBC Control, Cereal Leaf Beetle in Small Grains - Christina DiFonzo, MSU Extension field crop entomologist
- Tar Spot—A New Corn Leaf Disease, ILeVO-VOTiVO Seed Treatments for SDS, Wheat Stripe Rust - Martin Chilvers, MSU Extension plant pathologist
- 2016 SMaRT Soybean On-Farm Research Results and Identification of 2017 Research Topics - Mike Staton, MSU Extension soybean educator
- Market Outlook for 2017 - Jim Hilker, MSU Extension professor of economics
- Controlling Herbicide Resistant/Troublesome Weeds, Weed Control Guide Update - Christy Sprague, MSU Extension weed management specialist
- Corn N Timing, Choosing Wheat Inputs Wisely - Kurt Steinke, MSU soil fertility specialist
- Local Host Wrap-up, Evaluation and Adjourn
In addition to learning new information, participants will receive a free copy of MSU Extension Bulletin E-434, “2017 Weed Control Guide for Field Crops,” compliments of the Michigan Soybean Promotion Committee, Corn Marketing Program of Michigan and Michigan Wheat Program. Participants will also earn pesticide applicator and certified crop advisor credits.
The registration fee for this program is $25 per person. Pre-registration is required to ensure an accurate count for meals and materials and can be accomplished online or by phone. Please register one week before the event you plan to attend.
To register online (preferred method): Please go to Pest and Crop Management Update Meetings and enter the requested information.
To register by phone: Please call the MSU Extension office that is hosting the meeting you plan to attend and provide the requested information.
Online webinar option: If you are unable to attend these meetings, you can learn about and register for the 2017 Field Crops Webinar Series.
This article was produced by the SMaRT program (Soybean Management and Research Technology). The SMaRT program was developed to help Michigan producers increase soybean yields and farm profitability. SMaRT is a partnership between MSU Extension and the Michigan Soybean Checkoff program.
Did you find this article useful?