Tech Tools for MSU Extension Staff
On this page you will find resources for commonly used educational technology tools. For more information on these tools contact Gwyn Shelle at firstname.lastname@example.org. For instructions on how to add pronouns to some common MSU Technology applications view the page below:
Adding Pronouns to MSU Technology Applications
Camtasia provides the ability to create, edit, and upload screen recordings or recorded lectures. This tool can also be used for video editing – such as editing a Zoom recording. Camtasia is currently available for free for MSU faculty and staff (through June 2022). The MSU license is not available for county-paid staff however, in this instance Camtasia can be purchased directly from the Techsmith website: https://www.techsmith.com.
- Download instructions for Camtasia (enroll in this D2L course – only available for MSU faculty/staff): https://apps.d2l.msu.edu/selfenroll/course/1147614
- Camtasia tutorials: https://www.techsmith.com/tutorial-camtasia.html
- Live training is available for staff. See the professional development listings on the MSU Extension Organizational Development website: https://www.canr.msu.edu/od/.
Desire2Learn is the centrally supported campus learning management system. MSU Extension staff can offer online courses and workshops, set up communities and workgroups, facilitate discussion, and more. Participants in MSU Extension online course receive technical support from the MSU Discovery Services Help Desk through the MSU Library. The Discovery Services Help Desk is available from 7am through 10pm.
Cost: Free to staff and participants
Instructor Manual: Desire2Learn Instructor Training Guide
Student Manual: Desire2Learn Student Training Guide
Building Your Own Online/Blended Course
If you want to explore building an online course site for your program you may submit a request by completing this form: MSU Extension Online Course Site Request Form.
- A course template will be created for you including MSU Extension branding, a sample announcement, MSU Discovery Services Help Desk information, and more!
- You will receive assistance in developing a course based on learning outcomes and assessment requirements, and the course will reflect appropriate virtual teaching strategies.
- We will create engaging learning activities that meet instructional objectives.
- We will implementing online learning technologies and pedagogical models relating to virtual programming.
If you are ready to explore online/blended courses, please contact Gwyn Shelle email@example.com or Alan Pilkenton firstname.lastname@example.org (CYI courses only) for assistance with building your course - we look forward to working with you!
FileDepot is a convenient and simple way to transfer files within Michigan State University or with colleagues outside the university.
The Google suite for MSU Faculty and staff includes access to Drive (sharing documents), Forms (surveys), Google Classroom Sites (note that the classrooms are not open to the public), Jamboards (brainstorming tool), and more!
MediaSpace is an online tool that allows Michigan State University faculty, staff, and students to host and share audio and video files at no cost.
Manual: Storing and Managing Your Videos in MediaSpace
Publisher is a desktop publishing tool which can be used for designing newsletters, flyer, and more. Publisher can be downloaded for free for MSU faculty and staff. Publisher is not available for download to Mac computers.
- Templates for event flyers, brochures, impact reports and more can be found on in the Communications and Marketing area of the OD website: https://www.canr.msu.edu/od/communications_marketing/marketing-templates-tips-and-tutorials.
Zoom is a cloud-based platform for video and audio conferencing, mobile collaboration, and simple online meetings. All MSU faculty, staff and students have access to a Zoom account which allows for meetings up to 300 participants and webinars for up to 500 participants. If you need a larger webinar license please email email@example.com.
Training and Resources: https://www.canr.msu.edu/od/educational-technology/web-conferencing-tools