All funding proposal development and conflict of interest functions are handled at Michigan State University through the Research Administration System's (Kuali Coeus). This site requires two-factor log in and is the central location to create and search proposals. We are currently revising a document that will guide you through the use of KC. Contact our grants team at MSUE.GrantServices@campusad.msu.edu for the most recent draft.
Educational opportunities are available to learn the new system:
MSU Extension: Grant Development 101:
A new course is now available in Desire2Learn. It covers topics related to developing a proposal and what you need to know about before the award has been made. The course has approximately 4.5 hours worth of material, divided into modules. and ending in a certification quiz. You may self-enroll in this course here.
- Finding Non-profit funding via Foundation Directory Online
- Reviewing and Approving Proposal & Completing COI Disclosures
- BI Cognos Query Studio
- BI Cognos Reports
Support Materials: Job Aids and References
- MSU Library Research Guide for Grants
- Checklist for Reading Grant Solicitations (.doc)
- Proposal Development
- Budget Development
- OSP Training Page
- "Writing a Successful Grant Proposal" handout from Purdue Extension
The KC system is used for grants submission. Log into KC here using your MSU Net ID and password. You can also access it from EBS by clicking on the Research Administration tile. The MSU Office of Sponsored Programs has a website of KC Training Materials that is useful, but many of their materials assume you are applying for larger federal grants. We recommend that you first watch the short video below for a high-level overview of KC, then use our KC Manual for MSU Extension employees, which focuses on the types of grants most commonly pursued at MSU Extension.
- Training webpage for KC
- KC How-To Manual (PDF) (note: KC frequently updates/changes, causing slight discrepancies as we are continuously updating this guide)
- Key Concepts & Categories in Building Your Budget is a reference guide to help you make sure your expenses are in the correct category.
- PI Approval of the Proposal and Completing Conflict of Interest Disclosures