Stephen Boyd, Ph.D.
Department of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences
University Distinguished Professor - Degradation of contaminants, pesticides & metals in soils and sediment, remediation of contaminated soils, subsoils & sediment.
1066 Bogue St, Room 532
East Lansing, MI 48824
Area of Expertise:
Degradation of contaminants, pesticides & metals in soils and sediment, remediation of contaminated soils, subsoils & sediment.
Central Michigan University, B.S., 1975, Chemistry
Purdue University, M.S., 1978, Soil Chemistry
Purdue University, Ph.D., 1980, Soil Chemistry
General areas of expertise:
Environmental chemistry and microbiology, movement of organics in soil; microbial and catalytic degradation; remediation, sorption and degradation of organic contaminants, pesticides and metals in soils and sediments.
Overview of current program:
Dr. Boyd's research is in the broad areas of environmental chemistry and microbiology. He studies the movement of organics in soil; microbial and catalytic degradation; sorption and degradation of organic contaminants, pesticides and metals in soils and sediments; and the remediation of contaminated soils, subsoils, and sediments.
Dr. Boyd's research programs include the design, synthesis, and characterization of chemically modified clays for sorption and/or catalytic degradation of organic contaminants and heavy metals. He also examines the mechanistic interactions of organic toxicants with natural and anthropogenic organic phases in soils, and with natural and modified clays. One goal is the development of in-situ soil modification technologies to prevent migration of organic contaminants in surface and subsurface environments. He looks at the biodegradation of xenobiotics, especially reductive dechlorination reactions of PCBs in anaerobic habitats; and the bioavailability of soil- and sediment-bound organic contaminants to pollutant degrading bacteria. His work allows him to examine the effects of contaminant biodegradation on toxicity.
Selected Professional Activities; Honors and Awards:
- University Distinguished Professor (MSU, 2005)
- Chair, Soil Chemistry Division S-2 (SSSA, 2005-2007)
- Jackson Award in Soil Science (SSSA, 2004); Designated “Highly Cited Researcher” in Environment/Ecology category, Institute for Scientific Information (2002)
- Distinguished Faculty Award (MSU, 2001), Soil Science Research Award (SSSA, 1999); Jackson Mid-Career Award in Clay Science (CMS, 1999)
- Chair, Soils and Environmental Quality Division S-11 (SSSA, 1998-99)
- Council Member of the Clay Minerals Society (1998-01); Environmental Quality Research Award (ASA, 1993); Fellow of the Soil Science Society of America (1992)
- Chair, Environmental Quality Division A-5 (ASA/SSSA, 1993-94); Sigma Xi Junior Scientist Award for Meritorious Research (1990); ASA Visiting Scientist Grant Award (1986)
- American Institute of Chemists Award (1975); David Ross Fellow (Purdue);
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude (CMU)
- Chen WR, Liu C, Boyd SA, Teppen BJ, Li H. Reduction of carbadox mediated by reaction of Mn(III) with oxalic acid. Environ Sci Technol. 2013 Feb 5;47(3):1357-64. doi: 10.1021/es303895w. Epub 2013 Jan 15.
- Ding Y, Teppen BJ, Boyd SA, Li H. Measurement of associations of pharmaceuticals with dissolved humic substances using solid phase extraction. Chemosphere. 2013 Apr;91(3):314-9. doi: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2012.11.039. Epub 2012 Dec 20.
- Melcescu E, Hogan RB 2nd, Brown K, Boyd SA, Abell TL, Koch CA. The various faces of autoimmune endocrinopathies: non-tumoral hypergastrinemia in a patient with lymphocytic colitis and chronic autoimmune gastritis. Exp Mol Pathol. 2012 Dec;93(3):434-40. doi: 10.1016/j.yexmp.2012.09.025. Epub 2012 Oct 5.
- Johnston CT, Khan B, Barth EF, Chattopadhyay S, Boyd SA. Nature of the interlayer environment in an organoclay optimized for the sequestration of dibenzo-p-dioxin. Environ Sci Technol. 2012 Sep 4;46(17):9584-91. doi:
10.1021/es300699y. Epub 2012 Aug 17.
- Yu K, Gu C, Boyd SA, Liu C, Sun C, Teppen BJ, Li H. Rapid and extensive debromination of decabromodiphenyl ether by smectite clay-templated subnanoscale zero-valent iron. Environ Sci Technol. 2012 Aug 21;46(16):8969-75. doi:10.1021/es300516e. Epub 2012 Jul 31.
- Yu K, Yang S, Liu C, Chen H, Li H, Sun C, Boyd SA. Degradation of organic dyes via bismuth silver oxide initiated direct oxidation coupled with sodium bismuthate based visible light photocatalysis. Environ Sci Technol. 2012 Jul 3;46(13):7318-26. doi: 10.1021/es3001954. Epub 2012 Jun 15.
- Justewicz DM, Shokes JE, Reavis B, Boyd SA, Burnette TB, Halberstadt CR, Spencer T, Ludlow JW, Bertram TA, Jain D. Characterization of the human smooth muscle cell secretome for regenerative medicine. Tissue Eng Part C Methods. 2012 Oct;18(10):797-816. Epub 2012 Jun 13.
- Hasui T, Matsunaga N, Ora T, Ohyabu N, Nishigaki N, Imura Y, Igata Y, Matsui H, Motoyaji T, Tanaka T, Habuka N, Sogabe S, Ono M, Siedem CS, Tang TP, Gauthier C, De Meese LA, Boyd SA, Fukumoto S. Identification of benzoxazin-3-one derivatives as novel, potent, and selective nonsteroidal mineralocorticoid receptor antagonists. J Med Chem. 2011 Dec 22;54(24):8616-31. doi: 10.1021/jm2011645. Epub 2011 Nov 29.
- Yu K, Yang S, Boyd SA, Chen H, Sun C. Efficient degradation of organic dyes by BiAgxOy. J Hazard Mater. 2011 Dec 15;197:88-96. doi: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2011.09.056. Epub 2011 Oct 1.
- Boyd SA, Johnston CT, Pinnavaia TJ, Kaminski NE, Teppen BJ, Li H, Khan B, Crawford RB, Kovalova N, Kim SS, Shao H, Gu C, Kaplan BL. Suppression of humoral immune responses by 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin intercalated in smectite clay. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2011 Dec;30(12):2748-55. doi: 10.1002/etc.701.
- Dasgupta A, Syklawer E, Johnson M, Hwang SA, Boyd SA, Actor JK. Effect of Chinese medicines Chan Su, Asian ginseng, Siberian ginseng, and American ginseng on a new digoxin immunoassay based on luminescent oxygen channeling technology. Ther Drug Monit. 2011 Oct;33(5):644-8. doi: 10.1097/FTD.0b013e3182252103. PubMed PMID: 21860344.
- Gu C, Liu C, Ding Y, Li H, Teppen BJ, Johnston CT, Boyd SA. Clay mediated route to natural formation of Polychlorodibenzo-p-dioxins. Environ Sci Technol. 2011 Apr 15;45(8):3445-51. doi: 10.1021/es104225d. Epub 2011 Mar 24.
- Kaplan BL, Crawford RB, Kovalova N, Arencibia A, Kim SS, Pinnavaia TJ, Boyd SA, Teppen BJ, Kaminski NE. TCDD adsorbed on silica as a model for TCDD contaminated soils: Evidence for suppression of humoral immunity in mice. Toxicology. 2011 Apr 11;282(3):82-7. doi: 10.1016/j.tox.2011.01.013. Epub 2011 Jan 25. PubMed PMID: 21272611;
- Gu C, Liu C, Johnston CT, Teppen BJ, Li H, Boyd SA. Pentachlorophenol radical cations generated on Fe(III)-montmorillonite initiate octachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin formation in clays: density functional theory and fourier transform infrared studies. Environ Sci Technol. 2011 Feb 15;45(4):1399-406. doi: 10.1021/es103324z. Epub 2011 Jan 21.
- Zhang W, Ding Y, Boyd SA, Teppen BJ, Li H. Sorption and desorption of carbamazepine from water by smectite clays. Chemosphere. 2010 Nov;81(7):954-60. doi: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2010.07.053. Epub 2010 Aug 24.