We assist a wide variety of people experiencing problems with plants and pests. Samples may be submitted to the lab by mail or dropped off at our facility. We will analyze the sample for a nominal fee and provide a diagnosis or identification of the problem as well as recommendations for control. However, please be aware that while we strive to diagnose plant health problems to the best of our abilities, there may be cases where a definitive diagnosis is not possible. In such instances, we will do our utmost to rule out potential causes and provide the most accurate information available. Your understanding and cooperation are greatly appreciated.
Our lab will be closed from Dec 25-Jan 2nd for holiday break. To allow us time for sample processing, December 19th is the latest we can accept plant samples. Please contact us if you have any questions about specific samples or urgent needs.
Here are some of the samples we can accept for diagnosis:
- Plants or plant parts for pathogen, nematode and insect analysis.
- Soil and tissue samples for nematode analysis.
- Insects, mites, ticks, spiders and other arthropods for identification.
- Plants and weeds for identification.
- Weeds for herbicide resistance screening.
- Industrial hemp (must have grower registration or processor-handler license) MDARD Industrial Hemp licensing in Michigan.
Note: If a pest or pathogen of regulatory concern is detected in a sample, we are obligated to notify the proper regulatory officials (ex. MDARD, USDA).
Services not offered
- We CANNOT ACCEPT MARIJUANA samples due to MSU compliance with federal policy.
- Soil and plant nutrient analysis. (Soil testing offered through MSU Extension)
- Mushroom identification.
- Identification of household mold.
- Pesticide residue / Mycotoxin testing.
- Examination of bites or skin irritations on humans and animals.