How Might We Create Systems that Reward Farmers for Producing High Quality Coffee?
June 4, 2017 - Author: AGLC Team
Backgrounder 10: How might we create systems that reward farmers for producing high quality coffee? June 2017
1. The effect of “Potato Taste Defect” (PTD) on quality coffee drives some buyers away from the region, lowering demand and placing downward pressure on prices.
2. Those buyers who continue to work in the region remain wary of the PTD issue, and coffee volumes do not grow as a result.
3. If the Rwanda coffee sector shifts its focus to coffee quality, there might not be a market for more expensive, high-quality coffee.
4. Quality control measures may hurt the relationship between farmers and CWS and weaken farmer loyalty.
5. CWS have limited experience with quality control and supplier education processes in the coffee receiving area. Thus, quality control measures might hurt CWS profits.