MSF 4-H & Youth Virtual Showcase: Youth Poultry & Bantam Ducks - Dept. 12DOWNLOAD FILE
August 11, 2020
Classes in this department will be evaluated based on videos and/or pictures. Videos should be no longer than 90 seconds and be continuous in nature with no narrative. The exhibitors should utilize the camera person as the judge, moving the animal away and around the camera person as they would in a show ring. The video should include all angles of the animal in order for a judge to make an evaluation. Exhibitor should be in the video at all times. Show clothes typical for industry is recommended. The following photos are recommended: one of exhibitor and project, a front view, back view, profile A and profile B. More information on how to take a good photo and video can be found at the MSU Extension Virtual Learning showcase and auction website. All videos must be uploaded to Youtube and link entered into the system. Youtube channel should be set to unlisted.
Rules and Regulations Governing Poultry Show
*** Please check and follow General Agriculture & Livestock Rules *
- Classes will be conducted according to the rules of APA & ABA. 4.
- A Youth Exhibitor must be eight (8) years of age and not over nineteen (19) years of age January 1 of the current year. Michigan residents only.
- Youth may show up to fifteen (15) birds in youth show. No more than one (1) per class.
- Definition of Terms
a. Cock – A male bird, more than one (1) year of age.
b. Cockerel – A male bird, 6 months of age to one (1) year of age.
c. Hen – A female bird, more than one (1) year of age.
d. Pullet – A female bird, 6 months of age to one (1) year of age
RULES: There will be three age divisions for Showmanship: 8 – 11, 12 – 15, and 16 – 19 (Age as of January 1, of the current year).
- Exhibitors who own and show in a youth breeding class are eligible for the showmanship class. They must use their own animal.
- The class winners will compete for champion showman.
- The dates for computing the age of a show person will be January 1 of the current year.
- There is no video minimum or maximum for showmanship. The video should contain the usual moves of a showmanship class. Possible suggestions, are moving the bird from the carrier, presenting for the judge to handle, rear view and side view.
*NEW* this year - Youth Market Classes:
- Market classes for each livestock species have been added to youth divisions; however, no auction will take place.
- See guidelines for videos/pictures in first paragraph above.
12-Youth Poultry & Youth Bantam Ducks Classes:
The following breeds and classes will be offered in this department:
- Standards: American, Asiatic, English, Mediterranean, Continental, All Other Breeds.
- Bantams: Modern, Old English, Single Comb, Rose Comb, Feather Leg, All Other Breeds.
- Ducks: All Breeds
- Pigeons: All Breeds
- Market: Chickens: Roaster, Broiler, Fryer. Ducks
- Educational Display
- Classes: Cock, Cockerel, Hen, Pullet, Old Drake, Old Hen, Young Drake, Young Hen