Promoting Life Skills through 4-H Projects Workshop
December 20, 2013
Life skills are a basic foundation that prepare youth for success in life. The goal of Michigan 4-H Youth Development is that every youth possess the necessary life skills to be successful and lead a productive life. Through the motto of, learn by doing and the experiential learning model, youth involved in Michigan 4-H programs are gaining life skills through project, experiences and opportunities that 4-H offers.
The Promoting Life Skills Through 4-H Projects Workshop is designed for 4-H leaders, volunteers, and youth as well as other youth group leaders better understand basic components of how working in various project areas can help young people develop key life skills.
Participants in this workshop will:
- Learn the definition of life skills.
- Use life skills terminology correctly and confidently.
- Explain why the Targeting Life Skills model is an important tool in youth development programming.
- Explain the Experiential Learning Model.
- Learn how to intentionally teach life skills in their youth development setting.
- Apply the Targeting Life Skills model and Experiential Learning Model into their work with youth.
The Promoting Life Skills through 4-H Projects can be done in a variety of workshop formats. MSU Extension staff can facilitate workshops for groups or groups can purchase the Promoting Life Skills Through 4-H Projects Workshop Kit to facilitate their own workshop.
- These formats include 30-minute, 60-minute or 90-minute workshops and are available statewide.
- Each of the workshops covers the same basic objectives but the longer formats engage participants in several hands-on activities that will teach them how to apply the concepts into their own work with youth or their own 4-H experiences.
- All formats can be used with adult and youth audiences.
The different workshop formats are designed to do the following:
- Enhance existing volunteer workshops or professional development opportunities by being added into existing content.
- Be a stand-alone workshop that can be used at trainings, conferences, leadermete, workshop or other educational or professional development opportunities.
Please contact Michelle Neff, Extension Educator, at email@example.com, or 989-539-7805 to schedule a workshop.
To purchase the workshop kit, please visit the MSUE Bookstore.