Red MapleDOWNLOAD FILE
March 11, 2016 - Author: Bert Cregg
- Height: 40’ - 60’
- Site characteristics: Full sun to partial shade; sandy loam to fine, silty clay
- Zone: 3b - 9a
- Wet/dry: Moist soils, flood tolerance of specific cultivars is listed below
- Native range: Eastern United States
- Salt: Sensitive
- pH: 5.0 - 7.0
- Other: Adaptable
- Ornamental characteristics: Good fall color
- Shape: Round upright
- Cultivars: ‘Autumn Flame’ – early, persistent red fall color, Zone 3b. ‘Northwood’ – good, orange-red fall color, Zone 3b. ‘October Glory’ – excellent red fall color, Zone 5a. ‘Red Skin’ – large, thick foliage; early reddish-maroon fall color, Zone 4. ‘RedSunset.’
- Additional: Transplant in spring, specify ‘own-rooted’ as graft incompatibility can be a problem.
- Pests: Shallow root system and thin bark. Can be chlorotic in alkaline soils. Prone to Verticillium wilt. Leafhoppers and borers can be of concern, but rarely fatal.
See full list of smart tree selections for communities and landowners