March 11, 2016
- Height: 40’ - 60’
- Site characteristics: Full sun to partial shade; sandy loam to fine, silty clay
- Zone: 3b - 9a
- Wet/dry: Moist soils, flood tolerance of specific cultivars is listed below
- Native range: Eastern United States
- Salt: Sensitive
- pH: 5.0 - 7.0
- Other: Adaptable
- Ornamental characteristics: Good fall color
- Shape: Round upright
- Cultivars: ‘Autumn Flame’ – early, persistent red fall color, Zone 3b. ‘Northwood’ – good, orange-red fall color, Zone 3b. ‘October Glory’ – excellent red fall color, Zone 5a. ‘Red Skin’ – large, thick foliage; early reddish-maroon fall color, Zone 4. ‘RedSunset.’
- Additional: Transplant in spring, specify ‘own-rooted’ as graft incompatibility can be a problem.
- Pests: Shallow root system and thin bark. Can be chlorotic in alkaline soils. Prone to Verticillium wilt. Leafhoppers and borers can be of concern, but rarely fatal.
Print a PDF fo this page: Red Maple