The SAFS minor requires 3 core courses, and 3 elective courses. Please review the details below regarding elective selection from two different categories - agricultural science and social science. Relevant special topic and study abroad courses may be substituted for an elective course with advisor permission.
Students interested in enrolling in SAFS or in need of advising assistance should contact Julie Cotton, the SAFS program advisor.
SAFS Minor Advising Appointment Booking
Required Courses (6 credits)
- CSS 124: Introduction to Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems (2 credits)
- CSS 224: Sustainable Farm & Food System Field Course (1 credit)
- CSS 424: Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems: Integration and Synthesis (3 credits)
Elective Courses (9 credits total)
1-2 Agricultural Science Courses (3-6 credits)
- CSS 101: Introduction to Crop Science (3 credits)
- CSS 360: Soil Biology (3 credits)
- CSS 431: International Agricultural Systems (3 credits)
- CSS 442: Agricultural Ecology (3 credits)
- ENT 479: Organic Pest Management (3 credits)
- HNF 150: Introduction to Human Nutrition (3 credits)
- HRT 203: Principles of Horticulture (3 credits)
- HRT 251: Organic Farming Principles and Practices (3 credits)
- HRT 341: Vegetable Production and Management (3 credits)
- HRT 486: Biotechnology in Agriculture: Applications and Ethical Issues (3 credits)
1-2 Social Science Courses (3-6 credits)
- AFRE 300: Public Policy Issues in the Agri-Food System (3 credits)
- CSUS 343: Community Food and Agricultural Systems (3 credits)
- CSUS 463: Food Fight: Politics of Food (3 credits)
- EEP 255: Ecological Economics (3 credits)
- EEP 260: World Food, Population and Poverty (3 credits)
- GEO 410: The Geography of Food and Agriculture (3 credits)
- HNF 406: Global Foods and Culture (3 credits)
- RCAH 292: Engagement and Reflection (Food or Agricultural Issues) (3 credits)
View the SAFS program entry in the MSU Academic Programs Catalog.
Interested in studying abroad?
MSU has international student exchange programs and study abroad opportunities that may suit your interests! Visit the Office of Study Abroad for more information, and reach out to the SAFS advisor in advance for substitution consideration.