Leader Training & Tools
Interested in leading shooting sports with a 4-H club?
All 4-H Shooting Sports clubs are supervised by certified 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor. Instructors must become certified in the specific discipline(s) they wish to lead. These disciplines include archery, rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, hunting and wildlife, and pistol. The training includes skill development, safety, risk management and appropriate ways to share this content with youth. To maintain Instructor status, re-certification is required every 3 years. Volunteers are required at a 1:5 ratio. Please use the link below to review certification policy and procedures, and contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or concerns.
- Recertification Policy and Application (September 2023 version)
- 4-H Volunteer Job Description: 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor
- Michigan 4-H Shooting Sports Project Snapshot
- Program Overview (2.5-min. video, focusing on safety and career skills)
- Program Overview (2-min. video, featuring Shooting Sports Teen Ambassador Kat E.)
Policy and Procedures
- Michigan 4-H Shooting Sports Policies & Procedures
- Risk Management Template
- 2023 Recertification Policy and Application
- Daily Participation Log
- Inventory Log Template
- Transfer of Custody Template
- Shooting Organizations
- Sources of Equipment and further training
- STEM activities
- Video learning (outdoor skills, shooting sports, hunting)
- Instructor Job Description
- National 4-H Shooting Sports Code of Ethics
- Scholarships and Awards
- Tournaments (Regional, State, National
Certification training events are held annually, in addition to regional training offered by demand throughout the year. Teens age 14+ ready for leadership roles are welcome to attend, able to assist with instruction, under the supervision of a Certified Instructor age 21+.
How can volunteers that are ‘non-certified’ help out? Safe shooting sports programs require a lot of support from volunteers. There are many ways to help out! Your certified instructor can provide you with additional information. That might include serving the club administratively, providing STEM lessons, or event planning. Contact your county MSU Extension office or find a local club in your area and don’t be afraid to ask how you can help!
Instructor manuals are distributed at the 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor Training Workshops. This is the only place to obtain an instructor manual.
Adult and Teen Leader (age 14+) Adult 4-H Volunteer Certification Training Workshops*
|Date||Location||Disciplines offered||Event Details|
|September 16 & 17, 2023||Owosso, MI||
(Archery, Coordinator, Muzzleloader, Rifle, Shotgun)
|The 4-H Shooting Sports Adult & Teen Instructors Certification Workshop provides leaders an opportunity to: