The MSU Extension Zoning Administrator Certificate Program was designed to offer zoning administration techniques in ways that reduce legal risks to the zoning administrator and their community. It is the ONLY such program in the state!
The Zoning Administrator Certificate Program has offered training in 18 different locations around the state; attracting more than 300 participants. Zoning administrators make up the majority of participants attending the training. However, the program has attracted private consultants and county planners who consult with local zoning administrators, local elected officials and State agency staff. It has even attracted some unexpected participants who may have taken on the responsibility of the zoning administrator, due to lack of staff and funding at the local or county levels.
There are eight training modules in the Zoning Administrator Certificate Program, and each is 1.5-2.5 hours of classroom time (including an individual or group activity).
- Job Description, Responsibilities and Basic Ethics.
- Legal Issues.
- Reviewing Applications: Common Procedures and Use of Forms.
- Reviewing Plot Plans and Site Plans.
- Inspections and Violations.
- Preparing Files, Reports and Record Keeping
- Interactions with other Professionals and Agencies, and Departmental Duties.
- Customer Service and Counter Behavior.
Below is the typical agenda for the two-day event. Modules may be presented in a different order than displayed, and include a mid-point break.
|12:45-1:30pm||45||Module 6 (cont.)|
To learn more about the MSU Extension Zoning Certificate , contact:
Michigan State University Extension - Van Buren County
801 Hazen St., Suite D
Paw Paw, MI 49079