The 2021 Zoning Administrator Certificate Program is moving online! The decision to do so is made in light of COVID-19 and the interest in protecting the health, safety, and welfare of all participants and trainers. We will hopefully resume in-person training in 2022.
The 2021 ZAC Program will follow a hybrid model of live webinars plus self-paced online learning using MSU's learning management system - Desire 2 Learn (D2L). The program will begin February 1 and run for five weeks with participants joining live webinars from 1:30 - 4 p.m. (Eastern) on Mondays February 1, 8, 15, 22, and March 1. ZAC Program office hours will run 11:00 a.m. to noon on Fridays February 5, 12, 19, 26, and March 5. Access to the D2L course will begin with the start of the program and participants will be responsible for completing online learning until the due date of the ZAC Program Exam on April 12.
Registration for the 2021 ZAC Program is open. Click here to register: https://events.anr.msu.edu/ZAC2021/
All registrants of the Zoning Administrator Certificate Program receive:
- A binder with materials associated with each of the eight modules in the program (300+ pages). These may include:
- A copy of all PowerPoint slides,
- A copy of all special handouts, such as sample job description,sample zoning forms,sample ethics materials,sample checklists and all class exercises,
- A summary of over 300 Michigan Appellate Court Cases that are most relevant to day-to-day zoning administration (not available separately).
- A copy of the “Michigan Planning Guidebook, 2nd Ed.”
- A copy of the “Michigan Zoning Guidebook, 3rd Ed.”
Participants who meet all the prerequisites and successfully pass the exam at the conclusion of the program will receive a framed certificate indicating successful completion of the program.
Several entities think the education of zoning administrators is so important that they are willing to offer scholarships for participation.
- Michigan Municipal Risk Management Authority (MMRMA): Offers grant funding (partial reimbursement of the course fee) to its members. For details and to apply for the grant, please contact MMRMA directly.
- Nickel & Saph, Inc. Insurance Agency: Offers a $500 scholarship to its municipal clients. For details, please contact Stephen Saph, Jr. at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 657-7373.
If you have questions about upcoming trainings or how to register for the Zoning Administrator Certificate Program, please please email email@example.com or call 517-353-6472.
Accommodations for Disabled Persons
Accommodations for people with disabilities may be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 517-353-6472 prior to the registration deadline (14 days prior to the training start date). Requests received after that date will be met if possible but are not guaranteed.