The 2024 Zoning Administrator Certificate Program will be a hybrid offering consisting of webinar delivery, self-paced online learning, and an overnight, in-person training. The program will begin January 18 with a kick-off webinar including delivery of Module 1 of the curriculum. Participants will then have two and a half weeks to complete two modules in MSU's learning management system - Desire 2 Learn (D2L). The in-person training consisting of the remaining five modules of the curriculum will be held in Mt. Pleasant beginning at 11am on February 8 and concluding by 4pm on February 9th.
All registrants of the Zoning Administrator Certificate Program receive:
- A binder with materials associated with each of the eight modules in the program (300+ pages). These may include:
- A copy of all PowerPoint slides,
- A copy of all special handouts, such as sample job description, sample zoning forms, sample ethics materials, sample checklists and all class exercises,
- A summary of over 300 Michigan Appellate Court Cases that are most relevant to day-to-day zoning administration (not available separately).
- A copy of the “Michigan Planning Guidebook, 2nd Ed.”
- A copy of the “Michigan Zoning Guidebook, 3rd Ed.”
Participants who meet all the prerequisites and successfully pass the exam at the conclusion of the program will receive a framed certificate indicating successful completion of the program.
Several entities think the education of zoning administrators is so important that they are willing to offer scholarships for participation.
- Michigan Municipal Risk Management Authority (MMRMA): Offers grant funding (partial reimbursement of the course fee) to its members. For details and to apply for the grant, please contact MMRMA directly.
- Nickel & Saph, Inc. Insurance Agency: Offers a $500 scholarship to its municipal clients. For details, please contact Stephen Saph, Jr. at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 657-7373.
- Michigan Township Participating Plan: Offers the Training, Certification and Accreditation Program (TCAP) to members insured through the Michigan Township Participating Plan for the Michigan Citizen Planner Program and the Zoning Administrator Certificate Program. For more information, please visit us on the web at www.theparplan.com.
If you have questions about upcoming trainings or how to register for the Zoning Administrator Certificate Program, please email email@example.com or call 517-353-6472.
Accommodations for Disabled Persons
Accommodations for people with disabilities may be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 517-353-6472 prior to the registration deadline (14 days prior to the training start date). Requests received after that date will be met if possible but are not guaranteed.