BLM Utah Seasonal Firefighter
The Bureau of Land Management Uta
Employment type: Seasonal
Job Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Application Due Date: November 30, 2023
The BLM Utah Fire and Aviation Program is a complex organization responsible for fire suppression, treatment of hazardous fuels, fire prevention and investigation, and fire rehabilitation on 15 million acres of public lands in Utah. On average, we respond to 550 wildfires that burn approximately 148,000 acres per year. Working in a variety of firefighting and support positions, we annually employ many seasonal and permanent personnel. There are 31 engines located throughout the state and two helicopters with firefighting crews. The Bonneville Hotshots, are based in Salt Lake City. We host one permanent air tanker base in Cedar City and several single engine air tanker bases during fire season.
Our community assistance program is active in providing local residents and visitors with fire prevention and education information, community fire planning, and investigating the causes of fires.
We are engaged with partners at multiple scales in reducing hazardous fuels and improving ecosystem health.
Major initiatives in Utah include:
- Reducing fire’s impact on sage-grouse
- Cooperative hazardous fuel reduction projects through the Watershed Restoration Initiative
- Implementing strategies toward resilient landscapes
We assist with training of local fire departments through the Local Cooperator Assistance Program. In addition to supporting the five wildland fire dispatch centers in the state, we host the Great Basin Coordination Center located in Salt Lake City.
Interested in Applying for A Firefighting Position? Firefighting is an exciting career! Applications for summer seasonal work are accepted typically in November-January. See our current vacancies below. Go to www.utahfireinfo.gov and www.firejobs.doi.gov for more information.
You can find current fire positions using the drop down menu below or checking USAJOBS, the official Federal Government's employment site.
- If you know the announcement number of the vacancy you want to apply to, enter it in the Keyword Search box then select the Search button.
- USAJOBS also provides an opportunity to choose criteria to find the types of jobs you are interested in and will notify you with an email when that type of job is open and accepting applications. When you are logged into My Account on USAJOBS, select Saved Searches.
Note: Always verify the closing dates in the USAJOBS announcement.Apply