The Otsego Conservation District
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Gaylord, MI
Application Due Date: October 15, 2023
The Otsego Conservation District is seeking an Outreach Forester to work with the Forestry Assistance Program (FAP). The purpose of the FAP is to provide private landowners with technical assistance regarding forestry, wildlife habitat, and related natural resource concerns, so that they are able to make informed decisions and implement sound strategies related to the use and management of their forestlands. The candidate will be housed in Gaylord, Michigan and will include assignments in Otsego, Crawford and Roscommon counties. Duties will be performed under the direction of the Otsego Conservation District Manager and the FAP advisory committee. This position has a salary range of $45,000 - $50,000 depending on experience.
- Bachelor of Science degree in forestry from an SAF-accredited university. Bachelor’s or master’s degrees in forestry from a university program that is not accredited by the Society of American Foresters will also be accepted, although not preferred. Candidates that maintain the Certified Forester or Candidate Certified Forester credential, regardless of degree, will be accepted.
Degrees in related fields such as biology, fisheries, wildlife, environmental science, horticulture, or associate degrees in forest technology will not be accepted (unless they have the Certified Forester or Candidate Certified Forester credential).
2. Excellent interpersonal and public communication skills (working with landowners, public speaking, writing)
3. Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite of software and GIS programs
4. Use of a personal vehicle is required (mileage reimbursement provided)
5. Able to pass a federal background check
- Serve as initial point of contact for non-industrial private forest landowners for forest management, wildlife habitat, other natural resource issues or concerns
2. Provide on-site land examination and resource evaluation
3. Provide options regarding forest management that mesh with the landowners’ goals
4. Provide options regarding wildlife habitat management
5. Prepare written follow-up that may include appropriate handouts/materials after visiting with landowners on-site
6. Provide advice and technical support on tree planting/reforestation for timber production, windbreaks, and wildlife habitat
7. Assist with the District's tree sale
8. Administer the Qualified Forest Program for Otsego, Crawford and Roscommon counties
9. Provide diagnosis and advice on the control of insects, disease, and wildlife pests for individual trees and woodlands
10. Provide information and make referrals regarding programs, agencies, organizations, and private sector interests that furnish technical and/or financial assistance for natural resource management activities
11. Conduct forestry-related demonstration and workshops
12. Prepare monthly newspaper articles and photographs
13. Assist with preparation of the program documentation, including, but not limited to: grant applications, plan of work, monthly and annual reports, etc.
14. Fulfill grant agreement requirements and deliverables
15. Maintain a good working relationship with other forestry assistance providers, both public and private
16. If not already certified, pursue certification with Society of American Foresters (SAF)
17. Assist Conservation District and USDA-NRCS staff in achieving deliverables as well as short- and long-term goals
Send an application packet to the Otsego Conservation District. Application packets will be accepted until the position is filled.. Your application packet should include:
1. A cover letter detailing why you wish to work in outreach forestry.
2. Your resume detailing your work history and areas of expertise.
3. A copy of your college transcripts (Note: upon an offer of employment, the candidate must furnish an official transcript. Official transcripts are those sent directly from the educational institution to the employer).
4. Three references who can attest to your ability to work with forest landowners. It is suggested that at least one of them be a former supervisor.
By Email (be sure to label ALL files with your name): email@example.com
By Surface Mail: Otsego Conservation District Attn: Patricia Osburn, 800 Livingston Blvd., Suite 4A, Gaylord, MI 49735
The successful candidate will begin work as soon as possible. ** THERE WILL BE A NON-COMPETE CLAUSE IN THE WORKING AGREEMENT FOR THIS POSITION – NO OTHER PAID FORESTRY WORK MAY BE DONE BY THE OUTREACH FORESTER **