Program Transfer Policy

Transfer To Michigan

Active Extension Master Gardeners may transfer from USDA plant hardiness zones 7 and lower. The transfer process should be completed within 90 days and includes the following steps:

  • Provide written verification and approval from the State Master Gardener Coordinator of the previous state of residence.
  • Be up-to-date with certification requirements of the previous state of residence.
  • Purchase the MSU Extension Master Gardener Training Manual.
  • Take the final, open-book exam and pass with a score of a minimum of 80 percent.
  • Read and electronically accept the MSU Extension Volunteer and Code-of-Conduct agreements.
  • Comply with the annual recertification process.

Active Extension Master Gardeners transferring from USDA plant hardiness zone higher than Zone 7 must retake the Extension Master Gardening training in Michigan.

Transfer Out Of Michigan

    Active Extension Master Gardeners transferring to another state:

  • Contact the Land Grant University in the destination state.
  • Email the State Extension Master Gardener Coordinator at or your local Extension Master Gardener Coordinator to request documentation.


Michigan State University Michigan State University Close Menu button Menu and Search button Open Close