Program Transfer Policy
Transfer To Michigan
Active Extension Master Gardeners may transfer from USDA plant hardiness zones 7 and lower. The transfer process should be completed within 90 days and includes the following steps:
- Provide written verification and approval from the State Master Gardener Coordinator of the previous state of residence.
- Be up-to-date with certification requirements of the previous state of residence.
- Purchase the MSU Extension Master Gardener Training Manual.
- Take the final, open-book exam and pass with a score of a minimum of 80 percent.
- Read and electronically accept the MSU Extension Volunteer and Code-of-Conduct agreements.
- Comply with the annual recertification process.
Active Extension Master Gardeners transferring from USDA plant hardiness zone higher than Zone 7 must retake the Extension Master Gardening training in Michigan.
Transfer Out Of Michigan
Active Extension Master Gardeners transferring to another state:
- Contact the Land Grant University in the destination state.
- Email the State Extension Master Gardener Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or your local Extension Master Gardener Coordinator to request documentation.