Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics
Assistant Professor, International DevelopmentRm 219 Morrill Hall of Agriculture
Michigan State University, EL. MI 48824
Ph.D., Purdue University
MSc., Purdue University
MSc., University of Queensland, AUS
BSc., Universidade Eduardo Mondlane, Mozambique, 1984
Rafael Uaiene joined the Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics, Food Security Group in April 2012 as a fixed-term assistant professor. Prior to joining MSU, he worked for the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) as Postdoctoral Fellow where he was involved in food policy research, capacity building, and outreach. His recent research has covered agricultural research systems, technology development and transfer, with particular emphasis to Mozambique.
He also worked with the Development Economic Research Group (DERG) of the University of Copenhagen assisting the Policy Analysis Unit of the Ministry of Planning and Development in Mozambique. Prior to his doctoral studies, Rafael Uaiene worked as Researcher (Cotton Breeder) and National Director at National Agronomic Research Institute (INIA), lecturer and Deputy Director and Director of “Instituto Agrario de Chimoio”.
Research and Outreach Interests
- Agricultural productivity
- Economic analysis of production technologies
- Agricultural policy analysis and policy formulation
- Agricultural research systems, technology development and transfer
- Linkages between policy, market institutions and technology in fostering rural economic growth
- Human and organizational capacity building