Important notice to all our clients
We assist a wide variety of people experiencing problems with plants and pests. Samples may be submitted to the lab by mail or dropped off at our facility. We will analyze the sample for a nominal fee and provide a diagnosis or identification of the problem as well as recommendations for control.
Here are some of the samples we can accept for diagnosis:
- Plants or plant parts for pathogen, nematode and insect analysis.
- Soil and tissue samples for nematode analysis.
- Insects, mites, ticks, spiders and other arthropods for identification.
- Plants and weeds for identification.
- Weeds for herbicide resistance screening.
- Industrial hemp (must have grower registration or processor-handler license) MDARD Industrial Hemp licensing in Michigan.
Note: If a pest or pathogen of regulatory concern is detected in a sample, we are obligated to notify the proper regulatory officials (ex. MDARD, USDA).
Services not offered
- We CANNOT ACCEPT MARIJUANA samples due to MSU compliance with federal policy.
- Soil and plant nutrient analysis.
- Mushroom identification.
- Identification of household mold.
- Pesticide residue / Mycotoxin testing.
- Examination of bites or skin irritations on humans and animals.
Michigan State University Plant & Pest Diagnostics is supported by funding from Project GREEEN, MSU Extension and the National Plant Diagnostic Network.