Important notice to all our clients
MSU Plant & Pest Diagnostics is open for samples that are dropped-off or mailed to the lab. Please avoid shipping samples on Fridays as packages are not delivered to campus on weekends. When submitting plant samples, we encourage clients to email digital images to accompany the physical samples. Images can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
WE CANNOT ACCEPT MARIJUANA samples due to MSU compliance with federal policy.
We assist a wide variety of people experiencing problems with plants and pests. Samples may be submitted to the lab by mail or dropped off at our facility. We will analyze the sample for a nominal fee and provide a diagnosis or identification of the problem as well as recommendations for control.
Here are some of the samples we accept for diagnosis:
- Plants or plant parts for pathogen, nematode and insect analysis.
- Soil and tissue samples for nematode analysis.
- Insects, mites, ticks, spiders and other arthropods for identification.
- Plants and weeds for identification.
- Weeds for herbicide resistance screening.
- Industrial hemp (must have grower registration or processor-handler license) MDARD Industrial Hemp licensing in Michigan.
Note: If a pest or pathogen of regulatory concern is detected in a sample, we are obligated to notify the proper regulatory officials (ex. MDARD, USDA).
Services not offered
- Soil and plant nutrient analysis. MSU’s Soil and Plant Nutrient lab is a separate facility and can help you.
- Mushroom identification.
- Identification of household mold.
- Pesticide residue / Mycotoxin testing.
- Examination of bites or skin irritations on humans and animals.