Handling Equipment SOPDOWNLOAD FILE
• Good handling practices will be prioritized on the farm. It is understood that using low-stress handling practices contributes to the well-being and positive impact of the animal, caretaker, and the pork industry. Willful acts of abuse will not be tolerated on this farm.
• Handling equipment is available to assist in sorting and moving pigs in a safe, humane, and efficient manner.
• Approved handling equipment for pigs includes sorting boards, a rattle paddle, nylon flags, a matador’s cape, and a plastic ribbon on a stick.
• An electric prod can be used only as a last resort, typically during loading out pigs.
Procedures for Handling Different Ages of Animals
- Handling Breeding stock (sows, gilts, boars)
- Nursery and finisher pigs
Procedure for Equipment
- Sorting Board
- Rattle Paddle
- Nylon flags, Matador's cape, and Plastic ribbon on a stick
- Electric Prod