Hiring Organization: The MSU Horticulture Gardens
Employment type: Internship
Application Deadline: February 25, 2017
Job Location: East Lansing, MI
Jointly sponsored by: Western Michigan Greenhouse Association and Metropolitan & Detroit Flower Growers Association
The MSU Horticulture Gardens at Michigan State University is seeking a hardworking, innovative student to assist with many tasks at the 2 acre Amien A. and Florence M. Carter Annual Trial Garden. The Trial Garden showcases more than 600 different cultivars of annuals, perennials, and vegetables from breeders from all over the world.
The intern will gain practical, hands-on experience in public gardening. Daedre McGrath, our Trial Garden Manager, will provide high quality learning opportunities for the intern through the evaluation of annuals, perennials, and vegetables. The intern will be educated in the entire trialing process including growing and maintaining plants in the landscape, data collection and summarization, and communication of the results to growers and gardeners. The intern will have opportunities to network with other horticulture professionals during industry events like the MSU Plant Trial Field Day and attend field trips to the Michigan Garden Plant Tour and other locations.
Schedule and Hours:
• Early-May through late-August
• 40 hours per week, Mon-Fri, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Occasional Saturday and Sunday hours
• We may be able to accommodate your summer class schedule (if applicable)
Candidate must be available to work May through August. He or she must be enrolled in a college horticulture program or related field with an interest in public gardens. The ideal candidate will be flexible, able to work in a fast-paced environment, and possess good communication skills, interpersonal skills, and a positive attitude!
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist with the installation and maintenance of garden areas including planting, weeding, watering, dead-heading, fertilizing, spreading compost and mulch, removing debris, pruning, and edging.
• Working with the trial manager to label and photograph all plants.
• Assist in gathering and summarizing plant data for the trial brochure and website.
Please send your resume and a cover letter to Daedre McGrath, firstname.lastname@example.org